should I buy?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
jhchason

should I buy?

Post by jhchason »

I found a 67 four door t bird for sale locally. Car body is in really good shape. Seller fully restored body with custom paint and new hard top. Interior is fully intact and in pretty good condition. Motor is a 428. Does not run but seller claims solenoid is all that's needed. Ran 6 months ago. Here's the scary part, transmission has a mystery leak. Seller thinks it's the pan and takes about 6 months to drain out. All parts not attached come with car. He's asking $5,500. Seems like a good deal but not sure about transmission. Should I jump on this deal?
cacockrum

Re: should I buy?

Post by cacockrum »

If the seller is so certain that a new starter solenoid and a new transmission oil pan gasket is all that’s needed to correct the starting and oil leak problems, perhaps you could ask him or her to have them replaced before buying the car ---- and maybe even offer to pay for these repairs IF that fixed the problems AND everything else was satisfactory. Both are very easy things to do. Otherwise there’s no way to guarantee the car is mechanically sound.

These so called “Glamour Birds” are nice cars, but not nearly as popular as any of the earlier TBirds. You can easily find almost anything for the ’55 through ’66 TBirds, but not so for the ’67 through ’69’s. As a result , it’s much easier to get helpful feedback from Forum members for these earlier years. Having said that, the 428 engines and C6 transmissions are very common and easy to find parts for, and I had no trouble finding suspension and brake parts for my ’68 that I just finished restoring.
ICON 1956

Re: should I buy?

Post by ICON 1956 »

jhchason wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:37 pm I found a 67 four door t bird for sale locally. Car body is in really good shape. Seller fully restored body with custom paint and new hard top. Interior is fully intact and in pretty good condition. Motor is a 428. Does not run but seller claims solenoid is all that's needed. Ran 6 months ago. Here's the scary part, transmission has a mystery leak. Seller thinks it's the pan and takes about 6 months to drain out. All parts not attached come with car. He's asking $5,500. Seems like a good deal but not sure about transmission. Should I jump on this deal?
If that was the reason for the solenoid, that's a easy fix why didn't he replace it? 6 months to drain out ! I would contact someone that had Thunderbird experience on that year of car. Buyer beware ! Do your research on the 67 T Bird.....
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309