Loose shifter w/ video

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

oborseth

Loose shifter w/ video

Post by oborseth »

My shifter is quite loose with a lot of slop. If I don't slide the steering wheel over it will also not fully engage into park and roll when on an incline. Based on my searching it sounds like there can be a few issues. Today I had some stuff pulled apart and could see the slop in the column so I made a video. What am I looking at here? Should I rebuild the whole thing? Thanks for any help.

https://youtu.be/cN9ZAvo_YeQ
1964 Coup, Wimbledon White
1965 Landau, Brittany Blue
Tbirdgul

Re: Loose shifter w/ video

Post by Tbirdgul »

Seems like you’re missing a bearing. See this link for a breakdown of all of the components.

https://www.parts123.com/birdnest/pdf/Page263.pdf

Look at 7347C and also check the rag joint is secured. Tony
Tony Gul - Southern California
VTCI# 13062
1964 Thunderbird hardtop black with white roof - current
1964 Thunderbird hardtop copper - 1986
Tbirdgul

Post by Tbirdgul »

VTCI# 13062
oborseth

Post by oborseth »

Thank you very much.
oborseth

Post by oborseth »

Tbirdgul wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:33 am Also look at this

http://thunderbird.seebart.org/photo-jo ... andshifter
This might be one of the better howtos I've ever seen. Great pictures and explanations.
Tbirdgul

Post by Tbirdgul »

Happy to help. Most of us have been down this path at least once. :eek:
VTCI# 13062
oborseth

Post by oborseth »

I ordered all the parts from the bird nest and it sounds like the job can be done with the column in or out of the car. Anyone have any experience doing this job with the column in the car? Is it easier / better to remove it?

The reason I ask is that they are currently out of the alignment cone which apparently you only need if you remove the column from the car?

Thanks again!
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

If you are going to do it with the column in the car, you should remove the inner fender. It's almost impossible otherwise. The part no. 7347 is not really a bearing, it's a hard rubber bushing. If it's gone, you probably have to replace the alignment cone as well. There are lots of videos and instructions out there telling you how to do it by slitting the bushing at the alignment pin on the outside edge and slipping it into the notch on the column. Likewise, the alignment cone can be cut on a spiral and slid onto the column. You should be able to check the condition of the cone from above. It's just above the rag joint and is usually visible.
Good luck
Terry
64HT
oborseth

Post by oborseth »

Got the lower bushing replaced with the column left in the car, that was pretty painless. I followed the instructions that came with it from the birds nest and it maybe took 2 hours. I've attached a pic of where my bushing should have been before puting in the new one, it was completely gone.

The shifter feels much better but it still doesn't want to stay in park very well. Guessing that will get better after I replace the upper components. Thanks for everyone's help.
Attachments
PXL_20210811_023337772.jpg
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Have you made a decision about the alignment cone? It is an essential part and no more difficult to install than the bushing.
Terry
64HT
joelhutchison

Post by joelhutchison »

When I rebuilt my column ('65, out of the car) the bushing was completely missing, the rubber around the top bearing was goo, and the shifter itself was deeply grooved. All of that being said the alignment cone was in good shape. I would assume it depends on how long its been apart and the climate its in as to whether you would need to replace the cone. My car came from Phoenix.
oborseth

Post by oborseth »

You can't see it in the picture but the cone did appear to be in fine condition. Fred from Bird Nest said it was only needed if pulling the column out of the car, but In hindsight I probably should have went ahead and replaced it since I was already in there. Pretty sure I could do it again in 30 minutes now that I know what I'm doing.
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

If the cone appears to be in good condition, I'd leave it alone.
Terry
64HT