Convertible top circuit 15a breaker question- 65 convertible

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

mark1965tbird

Convertible top circuit 15a breaker question- 65 convertible

Post by mark1965tbird »

Hi everyone,
A question for you all. I have gotten my 65 convertible to a pretty good state (very few gremlins). The convertible top has a new pump, lines, upper back panel limit switch, 60a breaker. The top, and occasionally the lid, "stall" in the middle of operation. Everything still makes sound but the lid or top move very, very slowly during operation. Wait a few minutes and they work again. I thought it was air in the lines but not sure.
I've checked fluid and been bleeding the system per the manual. Now it's pretty consistent- on the second cycle during "top erect" the top stops at halfway and "stalls". Wait a few minutes and it works again. Seems like once the pump gets hot this happens?
I read in another thread that the 15amp circuit breakers can get sensitive with age. Has anyone had a similar issue or thoughts?
Thanks, Mark
jtschug

Re: Convertible top circuit 15a breaker question- 65 convertible

Post by jtschug »

I had a similar problem and replaced both circuit breakers
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Thanks. I called BN (I bought the pump from them). They said there is a circuit breaker inside the pump that can be sensitive and "you just bend it a little to adjust it". I'll try replacing the small circuit breakers and see if it helps. Thanks again for your reply.
Lotus007

Post by Lotus007 »

I have just seen this post and have the same issue. The thermal cut out inside the pump trips. What did you end up doing to fix the issue?
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

I replaced an exterior circuit breaker from 15a to 10a. The breaker was doing it's job, but it annoyed me that it tripped. The interior breaker that BN described sounded too delicate to adjust, so I adjusted the exterior breaker my mechanic installed. Good luck!