Quarter window motors

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Justdigit

Quarter window motors

Post by Justdigit »

So my 1964 T-bird is delivered....front windows goes perfectly up and down. And I knew when I bought the car the rear was not working.

Seller said.... Ahhhh I think some wire loose or just regulator is stuck. But when I removed the panels..... Loose wire yes.

Its just The other end of the connector isnt there. In other word complete motors are missing :???:

Big big disappointment for my new car....

New original motors are out of my budget. So does anyone has some recommendations for a replacement??
I saw Dorman 742—251 will fit?? On the other hand I did not read a succes story instead everyone says rebuild original.

I know I have to rewire from two to three wire with relais. I just want to know if the gear and motor will fit.

Or does post 66 Ford two wire motors. Fit. Also?
Justdigit

Re: Quarter window motors

Post by Justdigit »

Nobody tried after market motors??
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Go manual. Cheaper option and less hassle. Most probably get their originals rewound if not working.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Justdigit wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:36 pm Nobody tried after market motors??
I find it hard to believe that you haven't been able to source used or rebuilt '63-'64-style window motors. Some times you have to 'bite the bullet' and pay for parts that were engineered specifically to work for your model year. The time and effort you may spend in trying to figure out an aftermarket solution may be worth more than the motors themselves - for people like me, time = money, and on occasion I find it better to succumb to the higher-priced but known solution. I suggest start budgeting and saving your pocket change towards an OEM motor.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

A few years ago I was able to source a reconditioned rear window motor for my 61 from John Draxler at the Thunderbird Ranch. He has acres of TBird parts cars. Maybe John can help you.

Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Back in the 1960s Ford was using 3-wire motors for reversing direction. Some time in the distant past since then, the industry moved on to two wire motors. All the switches and the wiring are set up to work with 3-wire motors, while almost all of what you find in the aftermarket are 2-wire motors.

Yes, it is possible to make a two wire motor work in a 3-wire system, but it requires some extra parts and engineering. Most people don't have the skills to design and fabricate a workaround, and those that do know what a pain it is, and just go out and find the right 3-wire motor. If it were sufficiently impossible to find a good motor, someone would invent a workaround and eventually they would want to brag about it on here :-)
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Justdigit

Post by Justdigit »

I find 250 to 300 dollars for a used motor absurd. I rather tinker out some cheap alternative.
For me time is not money because this is a hobby and its fun when you achieve something then just buy the right part.

Rewiring from thee to two wire motors is a pieces of cake for me. Two relays and some wires and it's done....

I think i will source some things my self and if I have a solution I will post in the group for reference.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Justdigit wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:33 am I find 250 to 300 dollars for a used motor absurd. I rather tinker out some cheap alternative.
For me time is not money because this is a hobby and its fun when you achieve something then just buy the right part.

Rewiring from thee to two wire motors is a pieces of cake for me. Two relays and some wires and it's done....

I think i will source some things my self and if I have a solution I will post in the group for reference.
That would be greatly appreciated.

$250-300 for a used rear motor? Wow- some of us have spares we've pulled out of cars over the years and haven't priced out currently what's out there. Keeping an eye open for people parting cars out on ebay, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc. should yield something more affordable. Plus you should also try using the For Sale/Wanted section of the VTCI Fourm to widen your search. It's not as if they're made of unobtainium - there were literally tens of thousands of them installed in '63-'64 T-birds and other Ford products back in the day.

Have you looked into having a local electrical motor rebuilder going through these? Remember, '63 and '64 should interchange - the 'kicker' is that they also used a rubber/nylon coupler and D-shaped shafts to connect the motor to the drive mechanism. There is also something to be said for Keep It Simple by using an OEM-style setup versus backyard-engineering something to work, especially for a future owner who is trying to figure our what a previous owner did without providing some kind of documentation on changes from original, i.e. wiring schematics, parts sources/numbers, etc.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster