Inner CV joint Part#

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1990-97 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
mcm51

Inner CV joint Part#

Post by mcm51 »

Would any of my fellow Bird owners know what the Motorcraft or Ford service part number is for the Inner CV joint on a 8.8 axle ?
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
'86 Mustang SVO 2.3 Turbocharged
'84 Mustang GT-350 5.0 H.O.
VTCI #12973
U.S. Army 194th Armor Ft. Knox, Ky. 1977
mcm51

Re: Inner CV joint Part#

Post by mcm51 »

*Update* never came up with a inner cv joint part #, I have 2 ford service outer joints but no 8.8 inner joints out there. I ended up putting in two china complete axle assembly's (Trakmotive), which by the way, looked like toys compared to my OEM ones in a side by side comparison. which by the way, I'm keeping the them by chance that I can get them rebuilt someday. As far as the china axle's, they seemed for now to have fixed my right-rear "clicking" during slow-speed braking issue for now. BTW, for any fellow owner considering swapping rear axle's, 3 bolts to swing brake drum assembly out of the way (don't know about rear disc set-up) and axle comes out easy-peasy. ya just gotta have a torq-wrench that will set that axle nut to over 200 psi....
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
VTCI #12973
mcm51

Re: Inner CV joint Part#

Post by mcm51 »

*Update* A year later and probably 3,000 miles on them, the cheap china axles are doing fine, very quiet back there during braking. Right now if I did'nt know any better, feels like the OEM one's back there, can't tell any difference at this point. Any members swapping CV axles the best tip I can give you is when you shove that axle into the Diff., do it with a little force to make sure that inside clip expands when it should. To make sure, after inserting axle, grab it with one hand and bounce it right and left and it should stay in there(you need a large screwdriver or a crow-bar applying medium pressure to get that inside clip to collapse to get it out in the first place)....The only real spooky part is just making sure that inside clip is sitting nice and pretty on that axle before sending it in, otherwise you'll be doing Diff. service next getting that clip out of there!!
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
VTCI #12973