temp gauge

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

albertlj

temp gauge

Post by albertlj »

hello, my eng(v8) runs cool, however the gauge is always hi. guess i can just drive it that way, but i'm too much of a perfectionist and i would like it to register correctly. need assistance to fix it or install a new one but don't seem to find an nos. can you give me some suggestions on what to do. thanks a lot in advance, al jensen
klogsdonjr

Re: temp gauge

Post by klogsdonjr »

What is "high" for you on your gage? My 56 routinely hits the upper end of the middle bar but not into the area to the left of the H. Readings at the engine are at about 209 degrees.
Last edited by klogsdonjr on Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken
'56 Thunderbird 312 black/tuxedo
(originally sold in Louisville, KY)
CSavaglio

Post by CSavaglio »

This gets brought up every so often. I thought mine was overheating when I drove it home from buying it, but it was just the gauge reading hot. At normal operating temp...180-195 checked with an IR temp gun at the sender and other places, my gauge shows over 3/4....just at the very beginning over the hot section of the gauge. I tried every combination of original, repro, and NOS gauges with original, repro, and NOS sending units and they all read exactly the same. I gave up on it and just accept that spot on the gauge is normal temp.

Chris
Kneetoe

Post by Kneetoe »

Hi
I have some experience with this.
It appears that gauges and sender units have to be matched. I have tried the same gauge with 3 different NOS and reproduce senders. The senders cause the gauge to read differently each time. I landed on a sender - gauge combo ( looks like the original unit from the car rather than repro replacement units.)
When cold this pair register just a few mm left of center and increase when fully hot to a few mm left of the H symbol.
When you know that this is registering nearly hot but actually normal running temp, you’re all good!

So I’d try a couple of sensors with your gauge if you can
Cheers
1956 Fiesta Red 312
2001 Jag XK8