Sound system 1956

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

andyrytt

Sound system 1956

Post by andyrytt »

Hi,

How have you done to get better stereo sound in your thunderbirds? I think I will mount 6x9 in the wall between the luggage compartment and the passenger compartment that is available for purchase. Do these speakers sound good through the convertible and the sofa?

Feel free to show how you did in your cars. :D

Below I show how I intended to do. I do not want the speakers to be visible but I want it to be good sound for my own part.
What do you think of this?
schema.jpg
from_top.jpg
behind_seat.jpg
55blacktie

Re: Sound system 1956

Post by 55blacktie »

I'm replacing the original dash speaker with a Hertz dual 4-inch speaker and installing 2 Hertz 6x9 speakers in the Masonite trunk divider board. My original 6v radio will have an Aurora AM/FM stereo/w MP3 jack conversion. I'm sure the soft top, when in the down position, will adversely affect the sound quality coming from the 6x9 speakers. I have to decide whether to store my hardtop and leave the soft top up most of the time, or leave the hardtop on and store the soft top. Unless you spend a lot of time in your car, however, I don't know that the sound system should be a priority. I did not buy the aftermarket trunk divider board/w preinstalled speakers because I wanted higher quality speakers. After cutting the holes for the 6x9 speakers, I had both sides of the board upholstered with black vinyl. My car is Raven Black/w black and white interior. Some owners are happy with just replacing the original dash speaker with a quality aftermarket speaker, but I don't know if the original radio has sufficient power, and it's not stereo. The Aurora conversion is rated at 50 watts x 4.
andyrytt

Post by andyrytt »

55blacktie wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:36 pm I'm replacing the original dash speaker with a Hertz dual 4-inch speaker and installing 2 Hertz 6x9 speakers in the Masonite trunk divider board. My original 6v radio will have an Aurora AM/FM stereo/w MP3 jack conversion. I'm sure the soft top, when in the down position, will adversely affect the sound quality coming from the 6x9 speakers. I have to decide whether to store my hardtop and leave the soft top up most of the time, or leave the hardtop on and store the soft top. Unless you spend a lot of time in your car, however, I don't know that the sound system should be a priority. I did not buy the aftermarket trunk divider board/w preinstalled speakers because I wanted higher quality speakers. After cutting the holes for the 6x9 speakers, I had both sides of the board upholstered with black vinyl. My car is Raven Black/w black and white interior. Some owners are happy with just replacing the original dash speaker with a quality aftermarket speaker, but I don't know if the original radio has sufficient power, and it's not stereo. The Aurora conversion is rated at 50 watts x 4.
Unfortunately I don't have the original radio, so I have installed a regular size one where it should have been. The hole was unfortunately already cut for it. :(
I try to use the car as much as I can in the summer so that's why I like to have some form of "hearable" sound coming out where my head is. I never use the hard top and the soft top is mostly down but on the car. Not behind the seat so the 6x9's in the trunk divider I think will be hearable. Same for me. I will not buy the aftermarket trunk divider. I will install good 6x9's in my board. The dash speaker will also be replaced with a new modern version.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

I don't understand. How can the soft top not be stored behind the seat when it is down?
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Okay, I looked at your pictures. It appears that you intend to place the rear speakers at the interior quarter panel locations. Although 56-57 T-birds don't have the Masonite trunk divider board, just a drop curtain, it could be added. I had not considered placing speakers in the quarter panels. I would think area and depth for speakers is pretty limited and may require cutting into metal, which I would not consider doing. Are you thinking about using portable speakers in those areas? If the speakers are not recessed, won't they interfere with the raising/lowering of the soft top?
klogsdonjr

Post by klogsdonjr »

My 56 rolled out of the factory without a radio and it's never had one in it. I may at some point put a speaker in the dash, but at present have gone with a solution that has proven plenty loud.

I purchased a Bluetooth speaker from Amazon for about $70. And this little guy is amazing ... tribit max sound plus

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07MQWG3 ... UTF8&psc=1
Ken
'56 Thunderbird 312 black/tuxedo
(originally sold in Louisville, KY)
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

They do have dual cone speakers that are good for stereo radios. 6 x 9, fits where the original goes. Actually two speakers in one
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302