Anyone done an EFI conversion on a 55?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

RMF64

Anyone done an EFI conversion on a 55?

Post by RMF64 »

Hi

I'm part way through a full rebuild of my 55 T-bird and am going for an aftermarket EFI along with some other engine mods.

Has anyone done this and got any advice?

I have the overdrive manual transmission which has a kick down, which shorts out the coil to allow a momentary loss of power, to allow the overdrive to disengage. I'm worried that this will mess with the brain of the EFI as it is also connected to the coil. Any thoughts? I was intending to fit a diode between the EFI and the coil to make sure the power only goes one way between them to allay my fears of the kickdown shorting out the EFi as well and damaging it. Any idea what sort of diode I would need?

Here's a couple of photos for entertainment
IMG_1585.JPG
IMG_1584.JPG
8DFBE5FB-4DD2-4291-93F7-7E5ACF2E5AA2.JPG
CSPIDY

Re: Anyone done an EFI conversion on a 55?

Post by CSPIDY »

Have not seen one converted but please post your progress something I would consider rather that replacing the carb with another if needed.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
RMF64

Post by RMF64 »

Will update what I find out on the way to getting this sorted
VRodd

Post by VRodd »

I have also done the FiTech conversion on my '55.
You will need to change to a later 57 on 4 barrel intake manifold to ge the correct bolt pattern.
Additionall I had to open up (machine) all four openings to accept the larger FiTech butterflies. 1 5/8"?
I retained the original mechanical pump which now supplies their control unit which contains a high pressure pump.
You'll need to replace the air cleaner but be aware that hood clearance can be an issue. Also you may need to provide a secondary
H2O probe as the FI will need a water temperature input, an O2 sensor and a Tach siginal necessitating a Tach upgrade as well.
I've run the enine on a test stand and all seems fine. I also did a T5 conversion.
Still working on wiring, interior, etc, etc.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Does your engine have an OEM camshaft? If so, it should work well with EFI. If you have an aftermarket cam/w narrow lobe separation, I would like to know how it's running. EFI likes wide LSA.
VRodd

Post by VRodd »

Late reply, if theres still intrest....
I am running a "mild" cam from Mummert also Sanderson headers and larger (2.25"to 2") exhausts. The previous owner installed later ('57?) big valve heads.
I've started driving the car some recently and the more I drive it the better it seems to run as these systems are "self tuning".
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Are you running a return fuel line to the tank?