scarebird disc brake conversion

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Joe Johnston

Re: scarebird disc brake conversion

Post by Joe Johnston »

Before digging into this too deep, take a minute and measure the front wheels to make sure the off set or backspacing (whatever its called) is the same on both wheels. Even if they check the same, I would still switch them side to side and see if there is any difference. Easy enough to do.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Daveya

Post by Daveya »

The wheels are the same and they are not what is hitting. Its the tip of the bottom bolt on the caliper. It hits the lower control arm. It looks like I will have to build up my steering stop about a quarter inch on each side. The existing stops look to be flattened out on the contact edge! Thanks for the thought.
Daveya

Post by Daveya »

Update I added a quarter-inch metal piece to the steering stops and that fixed my problem with hitting the calipers. Now my only problem seems to be that my right rear brake locks up in a panic like brake test. I also notice a lot of rumble noise coming from the trunk area. I just insulated and installed a bird's nest trunk liner kit and thought that would help. Not so much. I will check the bearings and then maybe the rear end??
Hadders

Post by Hadders »

Hi daveya
what was your forty dollar brake booster off? Was it corvette as well?
I've replaced all my drum brake internals plus a new MC but have virtually no pedal. Adjusted them all but it seems I'm quite far out on the adjusters - though noted someone on here had mentioned these new kits the adjusters are shorter (gotta check that!) I'm in the UK but a friend of mine has quite a few corvette parts kicking around. Thanks Andy
Daveya

Post by Daveya »

I checked the other day and they were still listed. They weren't specific but they had the exact right measurement for the inside hookup to brake pedal unit and the right size hole and fit the existing bracket with several washers. I will see if i can find it. Works great with my new double master and disc in front. Here it is
https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-BLACK-UNIVER ... 1438.l2649