Upgraded ground point idea

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

dgalietti

Upgraded ground point idea

Post by dgalietti »

I'm adding efi, a 140 amp alternator, an electric fan... And also want everything to be super reliable. So I have been very worried about getting a good solid chassis ground as well as any other grounds throughout the car.

I had an idea and I'm going with it. Let me know what you think.

I didnt think I could get really good and tight grounds with a lot of contact with just some sheetmetal screws in thin sheetmetal. So I'm using rivnuts.

Here is what I did for my main ground. I took the area down to bare metal. Drilled and installed the rivnut. Covered the rivnut and repainted. I am using a side terminal battery fitting with it and attaching all of my 1 gauge ground wires to it.

The sniper efi says to ground directly to the block, so the negative cable goes directly to the block. Then I have another cable going from the block to this ground point. The alternator ground is also going to this point.

I will install smaller rivnuts for grounds in other points throughout to car.

The rivnuts are also pretty useful anywhere you want a better mounting point for relays, or anything that youbare adding on or where the screw holes got stripped out.

Here are some pics.
Attachments
0720202135a.jpg
0720202136_HDR.jpg
0720202134.jpg
0720202140a.jpg