another 1966 tbird for restore

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

DamonCG Bonnie's Dad

another 1966 tbird for restore

Post by DamonCG Bonnie's Dad »

Hi everyone,
Lady and I just bought a 66 with a 390 the AC and it has all of the trim and extras as well so may be able to help others along the way! She sat 22 years after man passed away and it ran with a beautiful new paint job from 92. Stored under cover in eastern Sierras. Called the T Bonnie
I am looking for advice in what shocks is everyone running best gas or air?
Keep single booster or go with modern booster and discs up front any known issues with that?
How bets to fix any know issues like the shifter and or the windshield hydraulics?
Recommended cams or other upgrades?
Can hard top covert to convertible?
I am going for a driver but eventually want it to have more power and cleaned up.
Plan to rebuild and paint motor and compartments once running and suspension brakes fixed.
Attachments
received_731844184021978.jpeg
received_672022050321727.jpeg
received_615008915803081.jpeg
received_289665218845563.jpeg
received_183233399783915.jpeg
received_2650543245263479.jpeg
received_567629550610540.jpeg
Bonnie
Bonnie
redstangbob

Re: another 1966 tbird for restore

Post by redstangbob »

thanks for sharing your 66 with us, I made your post a new topic to ease confusion :smile: . good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
DamonCG Bonnie's Dad

Just bought 1966 tbird for restore SoCal

Hi everyone,
My lady and I bought a 1966 hardtop Thunderbird with a 390 this weekend. It was restored by 3 brothers in Colorado in the early 90s and the man passed away in 98 and there she sat under a cover for 22yrs until we came along.
Looking for advice to help make her a driver with some performance upgrades eventually first is safety and function.
Brake upgrades? Suspension upgrades? Shifter or switch known issues? Any recommended upgrades tips or tricks would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I have some extra parts a door, trim pieces, windows etc if people are in need I love to barter and help.
DamonCG Bonnie's Dad

Re: Just bought 1966 tbird for restore SoCal

Photos for 1,000 words
Hope these show the level of work needed
Not much! 😎
Attachments
received_567629550610540.jpeg
received_2650543245263479.jpeg
received_734354957318235.jpeg
sseebart

Re: Just bought 1966 tbird for restore SoCal

Post by sseebart »

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new car. Love the color.

Before putting it on the road, you'll definitely want to go through the brake system. '66 models have front disk brakes, so modifications/upgrades shouldn't be necessary. You should also make sure the shifter is holding in park--chances are it was fixed during restoration, but you never know.

If the car was stored outside under a cover all these years, I would definitely probe for rust especially the structural elements underneath and the roof. (That rust streak is a little worrisome.)

There are tons of threads regarding performance upgrades, both engine and suspension, in the modified section of this forum. Personally, I'd make sure the motor is sound (good compression, good oil pressure, not using oil) before adding speed parts.

Keep us updated on your progress--and feel free to ask if you get stuck along the way--this is one of the most helpful places you'll find on the internet.

~Steve
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

DamonCG Bonnie's Dad wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:03 pm How bets to fix any know issues like the shifter and or the windshield hydraulics?
I have a short tutorial on the shifter here: http://thunderbird.seebart.org/photo-jo ... andshifter

The windshield wiper system almost never fails. If yours isn't working, best to post a specific question so we can help sort it out.
DamonCG Bonnie's Dad wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:03 pm Can hard top covert to convertible?
Short answer is no. The convertible is a different beast. There are some examples of roadsters out there--hardtops with the top removed--but it would cost (a lot) less just to buy a decent convertible in the first place.
DamonCG Bonnie's Dad

redstangbob wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:44 am thanks for sharing your 66 with us, I made your post a new topic to ease confusion :smile: . good luck, Bob C
Thank Bob!
Our pleasure and SUPER EXCITED
DamonCG Bonnie's Dad

sseebart wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:33 am
DamonCG Bonnie's Dad wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:03 pm How bets to fix any know issues like the shifter and or the windshield hydraulics?
I have a short tutorial on the shifter here: http://thunderbird.seebart.org/photo-jo ... andshifter

The windshield wiper system almost never fails. If yours isn't working, best to post a specific question so we can help sort it out.
DamonCG Bonnie's Dad wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:03 pm Can hard top covert to convertible?
Short answer is no. The convertible is a different beast. There are some examples of roadsters out there--hardtops with the top removed--but it would cost (a lot) less just to buy a decent convertible in the first place.
I appreciate all of that feedback and the site with the photos step by step, great work and much appreciated although I don't know I will need to do that yet but I always prepare for the worst and hope for the best!
mnpetri

Post by mnpetri »

Welcome aboard - very sharp color there! :cool:
I'd guess that the "modified" guys have plenty of tips for hopping up the motor, but 425 ft-lbs of twist is already stout.
I got standard shocks and rear springs, added the big front sway bar... it rides like a dream. It's no sports car... but also not much tire here for a 5000# car.
The articles from "back in the day" noted the HUGE improvement in braking due to the discs up front (standard starting with the '65s)
Good luck with everything.
Mark
VTCI # 11024
65 Special Landau #1485
66 Sunbeam Tiger
DamonCG Bonnie's Dad

I appreciate he comment. We just cleaned her up and shined her and I am about to get into replacing the rusted relays and some other issues. I may hit up the modified forum for some concerns about the single reservoir brake cylinder and my carburator needs some major love so why not upgrade just a touch something aluminum for when I hit altitude? :cool:
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Welcome to the forum. The dual master cylinder is a very common modification and a search here will give you pretty well all the info you need. Many on this forum have done it to all 3 years and can guide you through the details.
Likewise with the carb. While some feel that the original Autolite 4100 is ideal for this car, others have used either Holly or Edelbrock with success.
Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.
Terry
64HT
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

DamonCG Bonnie's Dad wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:19 pm I may hit up the modified forum for some concerns about the single reservoir brake cylinder.

There are numerous opinions on putting in a dual master cylinder, the cons point out that thousands if not more cars from our time period had the single and the loss of brakes was rare unless it was happening to you. The dual is a worthwhile update. I had it done to my 66, one item to avoid doing, is to dent the shock tower to make room for the new MC, it can be done without damaging the shock tower.
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Cool car! I personally would concentrate on investigating that top before addressing any of the other issues. Minimal and even moderate rust-through on a vehicle is fixable/livable, but once the rust gets to a certain level, you have to - at some point - reevaluate whether the car is worth investing thousands of dollars in for mechanical repairs. Vinyl tops are known for promoting rust, of course, but just make sure that if there's been rust through on the roof that it hasn't leaked water down into other areas of the car that have - as a result - also rusted through extensively. Again, minimal to moderate rust is fixable.

I'm probably going to replace the vinyl covering on my Landau roof, and it's nowhere near as rough as yours. Seems like it's a job that can be done by non-professionals with moderate ability. I guess I'd tear the old vinyl top off before proceeding. Just my opinion. Best wishes, and congrats on the car.
DamonCG Bonnie's Dad

Hi everyone,

It's been a while and life took my health for a wild ride so besides getting parts and making plans and lists I haven't done much...
I agree with the dust and besides rebuilding my 390fe already into a meanachine which I could flip for profit if I must, I haven't done anything. The rust is where we are starting and yes I probed and probed and found I can restore and save the top! Also the sides are fine that was cosmetic rust running it buffed out pretty easy actually. Going to start removing the trim and wire wheeling the rust then apply epoxy spray paint aka rust-oleum 2x appliance epoxy. Then aplky a glass resin body filler which will provide a faux roof hard top that will survive all the yrs according to my body shops they swear by the products they gave me. Once I do that and replace the front glass I will get it covered and replace my suspension, fuel lines/tank, and brake lines. Remove and replace motor and transmission with rebuilt. Then details after that and cruising.
Anyone have any recommendations for a replacement stereo? Does everyone have a 8track player in the center console too?