STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY-1965

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

gravelman

STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY-1965

Post by gravelman »

I took the column apart 4 years ago and what seems apparent then ain't so today. However, I might have been missing parts then and didn't know it. I just want to get it right the first time... OH, I looked up in the Ford Shop manual and the T-Bird Sanctuary Parts Book and found no help...

Pic 1 - is there a mechanical fastener to hold down the nylon switch plate?

Pic 2 - What secures the hub, is it only held in place by the steering shaft?

Thanks,

Mitch
steering column11jpg.jpg
steering column11jpg.jpg (14.29 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
steering22.jpg
steering22.jpg (19.5 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
jtschug

Re: STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY-1965

Post by jtschug »

Oh no! You have stumbled on one of the worst jobs on an old Ford.

There are two square-headed bolts that hook into pockets on the column side and then stick through to nuts behind the turn signal switch.

The difficulty is that the square heads fall out of the pockets when you try to tighten the nuts.

I can't take a picture of how it works and I don't know how to write it better in words.

I usually use magnets to hold the bolt in place, but it is still really difficult.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

gravelman wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:01 am Pic 1 - is there a mechanical fastener to hold down the nylon switch plate?
Yes, there's a metal plate with three screws to hold it down.
HPIM4149.jpg
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

JTSCHUG... I saw the pockets for the square-headed bolts. There's a good chance you could remove the nuts and the bolts fall out the bottom of the steering column. Whatever they're not there, but at least I have some direction now, many thanks...

Seebart... It appears from your picture that the 2 nylon canceling directional light switches are held in place by a washer over an upset rivet. That's very helpful seeing your picture.

Back to square one... In my case, the steering column is on the dining room table. Since I have this brain trust helping me, I see in some manuals that there is a nylon bushing at the bottom of the steering column. There's a bushing for the shift tube to the inner wall of the column tube, but not the steering shaft to the steering column. The nylon cone doesn't really align the shaft. I think I'll turn a nylon bushing so the shaft stays centered in the tube.

I really appreciate the help.
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

OK, I just remove the upper steering hub and see the pocket for the square-headed bolts and I see the marks left by the tightening nuts on the interior
of the hub. But what I don't understand is all I can see is a square-headed bolt going through the base of the steering hub holding on to itself and not holding on/attaching to the lower hub that turns with the shift selector. What are the 2 bolts for...

Thanks,

Mitch
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Which two bolts? The square-headed bolts? The pockets are in part of the steering column that doesn't move, so those two bolts secure the "hub" which also doesn't move. The shift collar which moves with the lever is on the outside and forward of those parts.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

"Search" is your friend - type in "Steering Column Square Bolt" and see what comes up...

https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... quare+bolt
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

gravelman wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:09 pm The nylon cone doesn't really align the shaft. I think I'll turn a nylon bushing so the shaft stays centered in the tube.
No need to turn a new bushing when replacements are only $10.

~Steve

https://www.parts123.com/parts123/dynde ... &uKeY=1208
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Steve,

We're not talking about the same bushing, you're referring to the bushing between the shifting tube and steering column... I was referring to the replacement of the nylon centering cone which as far as I could see was useless... My bushing is tight to the shifting column/tube with a little play in the I.D. for the steering shaft
Attachments
IMG_0196.jpeg
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

I like the steering wheel. How does it look all together?