Brakes self adjusting cables

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Karl

Brakes self adjusting cables

Post by Karl »

G'day.
Since I acquired my stamping machine I have been working on making parts to make up my own cables for the self adjusting brakes.
Once I got the parts I then realized that I would have to start the bend prior to swaging the ends onto the cables, this I can do in a normal press.
Hook and eye 1.jpg
I made up a die set to start the bend.
Hook and eye 3.jpg
Hook and eye 4.jpg
Hook and eye 5.jpg
Hook and eye 2.jpg
Now all I have to do is make up a swaging block to crimp or swage the ends to the wire.
Then I will take a sample to a mob not far from me that makes up control cables for boats or anything. They have a testing machine there and I will get them to see how good my swaging is.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
ICON 1956

Re: Brakes self adjusting cables

Post by ICON 1956 »

Karl, Your a craftsman in heart. well done.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

Nice work, Karl!
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

Yes Nice work Karl. I will be interested in seeing how the final product looks and works!

MN63
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code
Karl

Post by Karl »

Well I finished the dies to crimp the ends over. It didn't work as I expected but by turning the top die over it did the job.
This is the first one that I did tonight.
First swage 2 email.jpg
First swage 1 email.jpg
I will make one up and have it tested to see how strong the joins are.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Karl

Post by Karl »

Well I made up a new top die and made up a cable - Happy with the results :multi: :drinking:
First cable 1c.jpg
First cable 1b.jpg
First cable 1a.jpg
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

Karl you will have to post how they work out in your 63. If they work great then how can we in the states purchase "Karl Correct Self Adjusting Brake cables". I am sure we would pay a bit of a premium for a correct cable! :smile:

MN63
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day MN63.
Do you use private messages? I sent you one some days ago and it is still in my outbox.

Yes I will post photo's of the cables installed. I am looking at fitting them next week so I will see how I go.
I saw from somebody on facebook, he had purchased some N.O.S. brake cables in fomoco packaging and the ends of the cables were painted yellow. I can understand this as being easy identification for length. Some years ago I purchased some kits from Mac's I think and they were painted white. The kits they provide these days have the wrong shape and threads on them, not that that would matter I suppose I don't like them because they don't look like the originals. Can anybody confirm that the 10-15/16" long cables were painted yellow?
Adjusting brake cable original N.O.S. 1.jpg
So I painted mine hoping.
Manufactured cable..jpg
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Karl , I would love to try a pair on my 63. How much and would shipping be ridicules to texas ?
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day
I have posted some photo's of the cables that I made up, here is the link-
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... =6&t=18275
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Karl

Post by Karl »

I had some cables tested today to see how strong the swaging is.
I took them to a mob that makes up cables for boats and put them in his machine.
The two cables failed at 220 P.S.I. I don't know how to convert that to a KG (Pound) rating to see how much the cables will hold but the swaging didn't fail, they failed at the hook.
The metal is the same thickness and shape as the original, the only difference is mine is made from stainless steel and the original were just steel. I don't think the originals were high tensile steel either.
Anyway I am happy, I doubt very much the brakes will put that much strain on the cables to bend the hook out of shape.
:multi: :fadein: :fadein:
Failed brake cables.jpg

Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

Karl I did a little experimentation that may help out your analysis of the cable. I figured that the cable needs to have enough tensile strength overcome the spring tension of the brake adjusting spring to pull up on the lever when the brake shoes move outward. The spring then pulls down on the lever to move the star wheel when the brakes are released. The cable tensile strength needs to be strong enough to move that spring without pulling apart. My experiment was to hang various weights onto a couple brake adjustment springs that I had to see how far they move under different forces. One spring was new and the other over 30 yrs old.

I found that 15 lb or 6.8 kg of weight or force will move the new spring 3/8 inches and the old one 1/2 inches. 30 lbs will move the new one 3/4 inches or fairly linear and the old one 1 1/2 inches -not linear. Moving the spring and lever 3/8" should be plenty of distance to pull up on the lever and enable it to move the star wheel. If you only need 15 lbs force to pull the spring, then the cables you made if they can stand 220 pounds before breaking should be strong enough. They should have plenty of safety factor to reduce concerns on breaking. Nice job on fabrication and testing!

MN63
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks MN63.
I did something similar, I placed one end of an old spring in a vice and hooked the end of my cable to the other end. Placed a metal bar in the eye end of the cable and pulled on the cable as much as I could. I distorted the spring in the end but I couldn't break the swaging.
Happy days!
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Nice work Karl, How did you connect the cable to the hook? it looks to me that you crump the cable to the hook. Did you think of braze solder the two together, wielding it would weaken the tensile strength.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Karl

Post by Karl »

Yes the metal tab on the hook and eye are swaged or crimped around the wire.
Some time ago I opened up the hook and eye on a repo cable. I then cut some wire to the correct length and then silver soldered the cable back together. The end result got me out of trouble but it certainly did not look very good. Also there was a problem with corrosion. Silver soldering the cable would of most definitely ruined any tensile strength in the cable. I am fairly confident that the hook and eye are not high tensile steel.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop