Color for the 61 Engine

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Dederick

Color for the 61 Engine

Post by Dederick »

I'm one of those hacks that has been slowly working on a 61 and trying to follow the color scheme where I can while putting this thing back together. By no means will this be a show car, but having some fun. As I clean parts and get the rust or sludge off, I'm seeing colors that dont always match what I've been reading. Engine seems like there has been some work and possibly some repainting in the compartment so maybe what I'm seeing isnt actually what it should've been. I'm seeing the following as I clean:

Valve covers: couldn't tell but I think theyll be argent?
Block: black
Pulleys: black
Timing chain cover: black
Heads: ford blue

I've got the shop manual on the way... not sure if I'll see the answers there. Thought I'd ask the gurus.

Thanks all! Stay safe.. good excuse to wrench on the engine.
Alan H. Tast

Re: color for the engine

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Dederick wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:16 pm I'm one of those hacks that has been slowly working on a 61 and trying to follow the color scheme where I can while putting this thing back together. By no means will this be a show car, but having some fun. As I clean parts and get the rust or sludge off, I'm seeing colors that dont always match what I've been reading. Engine seems like there has been some work and possibly some repainting in the compartment so maybe what I'm seeing isnt actually what it should've been. I'm seeing the following as I clean:

Valve covers: couldn't tell but I think they'll be argent?
Block: black
Pulleys: black
Timing chain cover: black
Heads: ford blue

I've got the shop manual on the way... not sure if I'll see the answers there. Thought I'd ask the gurus.

Thanks all! Stay safe.. good excuse to wrench on the engine.
You're tacking on questions about a '61 onto an 11-year-old thread about a '57 - ever try to compare an apple and an orange? This really should be asked in the '61-'63 section (Mr. Moderator, feel free to split this out and move over there). Like a '57, though, the "long block" (heads, intake, timing chain cover, pulleys, oil pan) is painted black, with the valve covers and air cleaner painted Argent Silver.

All you're asking about AND MUCH MORE is covered in VTCI's 1961-1963 Original Factory Specifications (OFS) Manual, available to paying VTCI members here:
http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/c ... _books.htm
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Dederick

Post by Dederick »

Thanks Alan, my bad. Considering is my 2nd time ever posting and doing it from my phone. I'm not surprised. Refer to my initial comments of being a newbie.

Little help moderator?

Thanks.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

No problem - time for another Manhattan before I tackle the next challenge!!!
Y'all stay safe in this time of turmoil, not just safe from the virus, but safe in the garage too!!!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
bbogue

Re: Color for the 61 Engine

Post by bbogue »

Good idea to check the resources suggested for original colors.
I went through this when my 61’s engine was rebuilt several years ago. As best I remember, it was semi-gloss black for everything except the valve covers and air cleaner which were argent silver.
I tried several products and ended up using and liking these.
Dupli-Color Engine Enamel With Ceramic
Semi-gloss black DE1635 (first cans I bought read Ford semi-gloss black)
Aluminum DE1615 (I tried several silver or argent products, including a Motorcraft paint, but they were all too shiny silver compared to my recollection of the color on my 62 Galaxie 390PI. This aluminum color paint is kind of pewter-ish...my preference.)
Primer Gray DE1612
I have purchased these at OReilly’s and on Amazon.

Best of luck.

Bill
Attachments
67B65C64-5C3B-4575-A720-8C7FB1805BE6.jpeg
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Here's a few pictures of my 61 when I had it, The entire motor had been taken out and painted along with the tranny.
Attachments
7.png
7.png (143.3 KiB) Viewed 7449 times
8.png
8.png (128.91 KiB) Viewed 7449 times
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Dederick

Post by Dederick »

Anyone have a clue why I'd find the trans painted green and the heads ford blue on this 61?

Rebuilt/replaced? I can't imagine much had been done to this car. It sat in my grandpas garage for 45 years without running.
Attachments
20200324_175309.jpg
20200324_175322.jpg
Dederick

Post by Dederick »

My plate. For the 61.
Attachments
20200321_125019.jpg
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

the heads appear to be '61s still have the old style retainers. They might have been rebuilt and just painted the wrong color. Jasper paints its rebuilt stuff green, trans may have been done long ago. JMO Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Dederick

Post by Dederick »

Fascinating Bob. Love hearing the history. Thanks for the help. I'll probably go back to black then... bought blue assuming it was the right color before I went down this path.
Dederick

Post by Dederick »

redstangbob wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:02 pm the heads appear to be '61s still have the old style retainers. They might have been rebuilt and just painted the wrong color. Jasper paints its rebuilt stuff green, trans may have been done long ago. JMO Bob C
Looking closer, I believe I see overspray on the valve springs when the heads got repainted. Makes me feel better. Didnt realize so much word had been done on this in the past.
Dederick

Post by Dederick »

bbogue wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:15 am Good idea to check the resources suggested for original colors.
I went through this when my 61’s engine was rebuilt several years ago. As best I remember, it was semi-gloss black for everything except the valve covers and air cleaner which were argent silver.
I tried several products and ended up using and liking these.
Dupli-Color Engine Enamel With Ceramic
Semi-gloss black DE1635 (first cans I bought read Ford semi-gloss black)
Aluminum DE1615 (I tried several silver or argent products, including a Motorcraft paint, but they were all too shiny silver compared to my recollection of the color on my 62 Galaxie 390PI. This aluminum color paint is kind of pewter-ish...my preference.)
Primer Gray DE1612
I have purchased these at OReilly’s and on Amazon.

Best of luck.

Bill
Got a long way to go. But on the way back to black.
Attachments
20200328_172657.jpg
20200324_175322.jpg
Dederick

Post by Dederick »

redstangbob wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:02 pm the heads appear to be '61s still have the old style retainers. They might have been rebuilt and just painted the wrong color. Jasper paints its rebuilt stuff green, trans may have been done long ago. JMO Bob C
Bob, thought you might be interested. Not sure if the trans was painted by these guys. Matches their service tag.
Attachments
20200405_145714.jpg
20200405_145720.jpg
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

cool :eek: can't make out the date. now do you keep them or paint over??
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Dederick

Post by Dederick »

redstangbob wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:58 am cool :eek: can't make out the date. now do you keep them or paint over??
I really wanted to save it but it was I terrible shape and the shroud itself wasnt painted well so I decided to remove it and prep for paint. Was bummer to do it. Original plan was to cover and paint around it...would've been a need little nod to its past.