Convertible Deck Lid Moves Forward at Real Bad Time

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

AustinMike

Convertible Deck Lid Moves Forward at Real Bad Time

Post by AustinMike »

I have had my Bird for about two months. Figured I would complicated my retirement a little bit and give me a reason to hide in the garage.
There have been some wins and some loser moves (kinked back deck).

For some reason when my deck lid opens followed by the top panel extending (after lid limit switch pressed), the deck then moves forward about 4 to 6 inches right when the top starts coming up. That creates a situation where the top hits the dirvers side hinge to the top panel as well as smacking the "panel closed limit switch". When I bought the care it had top problems. I noticed that the panel switch had already been knocked apart.

Any body out there have this problem? I thought it may be air in my cylinder getting compressed but I pushed back on the deck and it is too firm for that. I was thinking that it may be a solenoid not getting closed in time and letting some pressure get by to the deck cylinders when the top starts coming up. So, I waited 60 seconds after the deck was fully up, started the retract of the top and it still moved forward the same amount.

Also, how much play should I have in the transmission on the top panel? It sure seems to have a lot of play. I don't think the issues are connected since the commensurate limit switches are engaged during the deck coming forward.

Input is always appreciated.

Test Pic
redthundervert64

Re: Convertible Deck Lid Moves Forward at Real Bad Time

Post by redthundervert64 »

I had the same problem with my 64 convertible. After swapping two of the solenoids, with no improvements, I discovered that one of the hydraulic lines connected to the bottom of the right-side deck cylinder had become slightly kinked. Straightening it out solved the problem.

Not sure about the amount of play you should have in the top panel transmission, but I don't think it would be related to your hydraulic cylinder creep problem. Hope this helps - good luck!

Bob
AustinMike

Re: Convertible Deck Lid Moves Forward at Real Bad Time

Post by AustinMike »

Thank you bob, I will check those lines out. Also going to bleed the lines again. Seems like seapoing the deck solenoids for the top solenoids would be a moderately good diagnostic if steps one and two don’t work.