steering column info

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

wide1-1966

steering column info

Post by wide1-1966 »

I've got a 63 TBird steering column that I took apart 3 years ago.
AND, of course, I forgot how to put it back together.
I also don't know what parts I need.

So, where can I get diagram to help me with this issue.
thanks in advance
Alan H. Tast

Re: steering column info

Post by Alan H. Tast »

:n00b:
Reprints of the Body/Trim/Sealer and Electrical Assembly Manuals will show how to install it in the car; the '62 Shop Manual shows how the column itself goes together, and the '60-'64 "Blue Bible" has exploded drawings of the column assembly. If you currently don't have any of the manuals/books I've listed, get them NOW! You really can't own one of these cars without at least the Shop Manual ('62 and '63 supplement for a '63) and the factory Assembly Manauls. If you're really cheap, you may find parts diagrams in a catalog from one of the parts catalogs available from one of the T-bird parts vendors that support this website and VTCI. But, trust me, you really need to invest in the service literature to understand how it all comes apart and goes back together.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
wide1-1966

Post by wide1-1966 »

thanks for the info
where can I get this Blue Bible, did a search and can't find it
I've got one assembly manual and a CD manual, neither show the column exploded.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

You might try E Bay to find used manuals, It's too late to say that before you tackled this task ,you should have had the manuals, take pictures or most importantly ask this forum before. We do had members that are experience on working on the their classic's. We don't mean to offend you in any way, but to help you understand how these cars are put together.
I found one on E Bay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-1963-Ford ... SwrTFePGIY
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
wide1-1966

Post by wide1-1966 »

thanks
do you have this manual
if so, is the steering column diagram in it
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

A few points of clarification:
1. The factory shop/repair manual that was used for 1962 Thunderbirds was, for the most part, also used for 1963, but some parts were changed, hence the 1963 Shop Manual Supplement (for instance, the Supplement covers the alternator system, which was new for '63, along with changes to the front suspension/shock mounting, heater controls and a bunch of other items). If you own a '63 (like I have since 1981 and still have), you'll need both. If you only have the '63 Supplement, you won't have all the info you need.
2. "Blue Bible" is shorthand/nickname for the 1960-1964 Ford Car Parts & Accessories Text and Illustrations Catalog, which is a two-volume book - one with a listing and description of parts numbers that were still in Ford's Parts & Accessories inventory as of 1969 (Text), the other with exploded diagrams of parts assemblies (Illustrations). This is available in reproduction in hard copy and on CDs. This covers full-size (Galaxie), mid-size (Fairlane), compact (Falcon) and T-birds.
3. The reprints of the Assembly manuals are in two books - the Electrical Assembly Manual shows how the factory workers were to install parts like power seats, the instrument panel, wiring harnesses, air conditioning and heater, and a bunch of other subassemblies. The Body/Trim/Sealer Manual shows how the body and its parts go together, along with the upholstery and trim. Both are must-haves for a person repairing or restoring their car as they contain step-by-step instructions that assembly line workers used to put the car together. They're very handy for "reverse engineering" when disassembling doors, windows, seats, etc.
4. This Forum contains a lot of information if you can learn how to use the 'Search' function at the upper right corner of the webpage. Type in 'steering column' as an example and see what turns up.
5. If the answers don't come up right away, be patient - there's a LOT of experience and knowledge here that can help find and provide it.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
wide1-1966

Post by wide1-1966 »

thanks again for info on Blue Bible.
who is a good source for bits and pieces for steering column?
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

These are Blue Manuals Mr. Alan Tast was referring to:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-1964-Ford ... Swv-ZaHvB5
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
BobHH

Post by BobHH »

Take a look at these drawings to see if they will help.

Bob
Attachments
Steering Wheel.jpg
Steering Wheel Column.jpg
Bob Harris
Strange 1962 Thunderbird SR?
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Alan H. Tast wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:59 pm A few points of clarification:
1. The factory shop/repair manual that was used for 1962 Thunderbirds was, for the most part, also used for 1963, but some parts were changed, hence the 1963 Shop Manual Supplement (for instance, the Supplement covers the alternator system, which was new for '63, along with changes to the front suspension/shock mounting, heater controls and a bunch of other items). If you own a '63 (like I have since 1981 and still have), you'll need both. If you only have the '63 Supplement, you won't have all the info you need.
2. "Blue Bible" is shorthand/nickname for the 1960-1964 Ford Car Parts & Accessories Text and Illustrations Catalog, which is a two-volume book - one with a listing and description of parts numbers that were still in Ford's Parts & Accessories inventory as of 1969 (Text), the other with exploded diagrams of parts assemblies (Illustrations). This is available in reproduction in hard copy and on CDs. This covers full-size (Galaxie), mid-size (Fairlane), compact (Falcon) and T-birds.
3. The reprints of the Assembly manuals are in two books - the Electrical Assembly Manual shows how the factory workers were to install parts like power seats, the instrument panel, wiring harnesses, air conditioning and heater, and a bunch of other subassemblies. The Body/Trim/Sealer Manual shows how the body and its parts go together, along with the upholstery and trim. Both are must-haves for a person repairing or restoring their car as they contain step-by-step instructions that assembly line workers used to put the car together. They're very handy for "reverse engineering" when disassembling doors, windows, seats, etc.
4. This Forum contains a lot of information if you can learn how to use the 'Search' function at the upper right corner of the webpage. Type in 'steering column' as an example and see what turns up.
5. If the answers don't come up right away, be patient - there's a LOT of experienced and knowledgeable people here whom can help find and provide it.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Daveya

Post by Daveya »

I am redoing my column too and i have a quick question. I have all the parts and info on how to do it. But i can't get the nut off!!! Is there a trick ?? I have the 15/16 socket and I have tried penetrating lube. I just can't seem to hold it on there with enough pressure to loosen it. I never thought this would be the problem I would run into. Any help would be appreciated.
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Are you using an impact ?
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Daveya

Post by Daveya »

Thanks, You know when you get older, things that you have done before can slip past you?? I got in the house last night and walla the same thing came to me !!! An impact. I will do tomorrow. Thanks for the help. I was so concerned about not hurting anything on the wheel that I totally forgot about the impact.