1964 Thunderbird build

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

paulr

Re: 1964 Thunderbird build

Post by paulr »

Would LOVE to see some photos of this build (maybe in a new thread of your own). That’s a heck of a lot of work; congratulations!

PS. At the bottom of the post screen there’s an attachment tab. Click that and from there you can add pic files.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Yes, pics please and if it's not too much bother, a sound clip of the exhaust. :mrgreen:

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
wallyblackburn

Post by wallyblackburn »

crashchoate wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:11 pm Something that I neglected to replace when I was getting new parts was the harmonic balancer. So after much discussion with my peeps I ordered a new one. If I remember correctly it did have some dry rotting in the rubber and maybe it’s causing the slight knock. The knock just doesn’t sound like its deep. So I’ll try and that see what happens. If that doesn’t work I’ll just go ahead and pull it soon.
Any updates?
crashchoate

Post by crashchoate »

Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while but I have not worked on the Tbird for a long while now. I am waiting for funds to build back up to rebuild the motor and start over. I do have a clip of the cam after I installed it and will try and upload it soon.
crashchoate

Post by crashchoate »

Here is a video link for the cam. https://youtu.be/BfrulLIefkQ
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Thanks for the vid.
The lope seems very mild, if any. Would be great even for a "stock" car.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
crashchoate

Post by crashchoate »

I was wondering if you guys know what kind of pistons came in these cars. I've been pulling rods and mains to see if I can locate the problem. So far I haven't seen anything wrong. I believe I have a bad wrist pin. So if I can replace just one I will just to get me by till I build a motor.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

I'm not sure I understand the question "what kind of pistons"

Stock pistons were cast, 'slipper skirt' I think supplied by TRW. I'm not sure what difference that makes.

These engines tend to bend pushrods when they sit around for a while. Are you sure the knock isn't coming from up top?
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
crashchoate

Post by crashchoate »

What I was meaning was what type of piston do they use as in dish flattop or something of that nature. I did notice a bent pushrod. so I am going to order a pushrod length tool and get a new set ordered.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

They are flat top with valve reliefs. Symmetrical so they can go in either way.

If you are going to rebuild the motor, then you should wait to order the pistons until the block has been checked out for cylinder taper. You may need to overbore and get oversize pistons. 390s can easily go to 0.030" overbore, maybe more depending on a sonic check and what the water jackets look like.
Livermore, CA
crashchoate

Post by crashchoate »

I believe it’s already been bored. But I’m going to take a couple pistons out to see. The reason I asked was to be able to match a piston if I have had a wrist pin go bad. I will probably source a new block when I go to build a motor.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

crashchoate wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:21 pm I believe it’s already been bored. But I’m going to take a couple pistons out to see. The reason I asked was to be able to match a piston if I have had a wrist pin go bad. I will probably source a new block when I go to build a motor.
You shouldn't have to remove the piston to know if the block has been bored. Normally, the piston will have the overbore amount stamped on top. (Though it may require a bit of cleaning to see.)

~Steve
crashchoate

Post by crashchoate »

sseebart wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:01 pm
crashchoate wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:21 pm I believe it’s already been bored. But I’m going to take a couple pistons out to see. The reason I asked was to be able to match a piston if I have had a wrist pin go bad. I will probably source a new block when I go to build a motor.
You shouldn't have to remove the piston to know if the block has been bored. Normally, the piston will have the overbore amount stamped on top. (Though it may require a bit of cleaning to see.)

~Steve

I’m really just removing to check for wrist pin play.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

When you replaced the cam, what kind of lifters did you use? Hydraulic flat tappet? If you used stock lifters, then you shouldn't need to remeasure the pushrod length, just get standard length pushrods. The lifters should close up the lash and it will run fine, unless you have a stuck valve, which could be the cause of the bent pushrod.

Also, if it is a flat tappet cam, hopefully the instructions informed you that modern motor oils do not contain enough ZDDP for flat cam break in. Extra ZDDP must be added to the oil to keep from wiping a cam lobe during startup.

I'm not sure why you are looking for a wrist pin problem. A knock could be a lot of things and wrist pin isn't the first place I would check. It could be the pistons are a bit loose in the bores, it could be a bearing or something else.

Unless you are spending $3000+ on a brand new aftermarket block (pond, BBM, etc.) I would inspect the block you have and determine if it will suit your needs. Every other block is used in some way, and shipping a used block costs almost as much as machining the block you have. If the cylinder walls are thick, you can stroke these things to make a lot of power.
Livermore, CA
crashchoate

Post by crashchoate »

Im selling everything I have for the Sniper kit. If anyone is interested I posted an ad in the for sale forum.