64 Starter circuit and ignition switch wiring query

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

thetonester

64 Starter circuit and ignition switch wiring query

Post by thetonester »

Hey guys...my 64 has been out of action for 5 years as I got disheartened by a starting circuit fault that I couldn’t figure out and just moved on with my life thinking I will get back to that one day. Well one day has finally arrived and I have got inspired to have another crack at it...initial fault was after a very long drive I pulled over for a smoke and then it wouldn’t crank over...after half hour or so it came to life and I drove it home. Next week, stone cold, wouldn’t crank over at all and it’s sat ever since. At the time, suspecting wiring gremlins I bypassed the starting circuit and ran my own from the switch to the solenoid but nothing...just the sound of the convertible top relay clicking on the passenger side. I replaced the solenoid and then whenever the ignition was turned on it would crank so long as the lever was in park or neutral...after my 5 year hiatus, I did some testing again over the weekend and as before it cranks at on position. Tested with volt meter and whenever the ignition is turned on the red/blue wire at the solenoid (starter relay) has 12 volts...am I correct in believing this wire should ONLY have 12 volts during cranking, not with ignition turned on, and thusly indicates a faulty ignition switch? As always, any help appreciated...oh and good to be back!
All help remembered and appreciated
georgemii

Re: 64 Starter circuit and ignition switch wiring query

Post by georgemii »

Looking at schematic - yes, red/blue should only be hot with switch at “start”,
and xmssn in P or N. Could be that switch has failed, or harness/main connector
is supplying 12 volts (to relay) uncommanded. Just my $0.02 worth.
DakotaLee

Re: 64 Starter circuit and ignition switch wiring query

Post by DakotaLee »

Your story sounds very similar to mine, and that road took me to a new ignition switch. Give that a shot.
'66 Town Hardtop
SoCal