77-79 sport instrument gauge cluster question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Joe Karasinski

77-79 sport instrument gauge cluster question

Post by Joe Karasinski »

Has anyone here ever added one to a car that didn't have one before?

I thought I had grabbed all the wiring out of a heritage that was being parted out which had this type of cluster but apparently I missed the part I needed or misplaced it either way if I can't find one I'll need to make it.

Looks like I'd need to run wires for the Tach, ampmeter and the clock. And assume I'd need different sending unit for the oil pressure?

Any advice?
BirdShepherd

dash cluster

Post by BirdShepherd »

Per your question---and it is a good one--I replaced the standard dash for the deluxe-7 gauge cluster in my 1979 Daily Driver Bird. Good move. But I did it so long ago (many years) that I've forgotten how. But do you have the wiring harness for the deluxe dash cluster? That is the starting question, it seems to me.
Joe Karasinski

Post by Joe Karasinski »

Thank you for the quick reply, I couldn't think of how to explain it so I took a picture. You can see there is a short harness connected to the cluster. Appears to be to the clock, ammerter and tach. and then I have the pigtail that connects to that harness. So now I need to figure out where to run these 6 wires.

BirdShepherd

Deluxe cluster

Post by BirdShepherd »

Nice picture. Worth a 1000 words.

Notice the rectangular cavity in the upper right hand corner of the housing. That cavity is what you might call the "female" receptacle for the "male" plug that is to be inserted there. It is the key connection to the rest of your electrical system. Is the 'male' plug to be seen (behind the cluster) anywhere?

If there is no 'male plug" anywhere to be seen, then the next step is to figure out which wires from the old system need to be inserted into one of these male plugs. And, of course, you'll need a male plug. Let me check my supply and see if I have one.

Hey, we're moving slowly, but we're closer now than before.
I like your pictures shown on the other thread. Thanks for posting them.
Joe Karasinski

Post by Joe Karasinski »

OK, I just bought the Wiring Diagram Foldout Schematic from someone on e-bay, I should have it in a couple of days. I have the male 14 pin connector that plugs into the printed circuit board. I see that the standard cluster uses all 14 pins while the sport cluster only uses 12. So perhaps 2 of those wires are for the alternator light? If that's true would they be the same for the gauge? The clock would have to just be a power and a ground and the main harness has a plug on it that the original clock and its lights pluged into so I can just use that. The Tach has 3 wires, 1 of which I assume will be a ground, one I would have to run a wire to the negative side of the coil I think but where will the 3rd go?

Anyhow, I really appreciate the help.
BirdShepherd

wiring for new dash cluster, 77-79 Thunderbird

Post by BirdShepherd »

I have the wiring schematic for the dash with the sport instrument/ deluxe cluster if you want it. But will need your e-mail to send it to you. This website doesn't seem to allow attachments.
tbird

Post by tbird »

You can post pictures but the forum does not host them you need to load them to Photobucket or a similar hosting service, go down the forum close to the bottom is a heading forum how to it tells you exactly how to post them.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Joe Karasinski

Post by Joe Karasinski »

Thanks Sheperd. I'm suposed to get a full sematic today I got from ebay. I really appreciate your efforts to help me here.
BirdShepherd

Sports Instrument Cluster

Post by BirdShepherd »

OK, that is good news. Hopefully, you can wire it up correctly.

I've really enjoyed my sports cluster with the 7 gauges and tachometer. Having an actual temperature gauge instead of an idiot light is really needed in FL in the summer. Oil pressure gauge is also a great reminder of how well the motor is faring. I sent out the clock for overhaul and it has been running ever since. All the best to you.
Joe Karasinski

Post by Joe Karasinski »

I got the schematic today, This is going to really do the trick. I've also been able to figure out the couple of plugs I couldn't remember what the did and where they go. Hopefully work is slow tomorrow so I can get busy on the car.
vdoublenickel55

Re: 77-79 sport instrument gauge cluster question

Post by vdoublenickel55 »

I am searching for a diagram for a 79 T-Bird with a 14 pin connector with Printed Wire Board # D9SF-10C956. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

victor,
Joe Karasinski

Post by Joe Karasinski »

Hi Victor, The schematics are several triple width pages which would be impossible to post. But I can tell you that from 76 to 79 the 14 pin connector is the same for both clusters with or without gauges. for the oil pressure gauge to work you'll need a different sending unit and you'll have to build an adapter to fit it between the oil filter and power steering pump. the ampmeter is the trick and I don't have the info on that off the top of my head. the wiring for it and the tach are from the 6 pin connector.
vdoublenickel55

Post by vdoublenickel55 »

79 T-Bird, Instrument Cluster 14 pin connector.

Is is possible to tells which 2 pins light up the ALT light bulb. My battery will not charge with a bulb in these two pins. My whole plastic crumbled when I removed it from the car. That is why I am searchng for the 14 pin connector wiring diagram.
Joe Karasinski

Post by Joe Karasinski »

You should be able to find the info here:

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/info-7 ... c2933.html