scarebird disc brake conversion

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Daveya

scarebird disc brake conversion

Post by Daveya »

Has anyone out there installed a scarebird brake conversion? I like the idea of buying parts at my local parts store in case of fitment problems. I have to make a decision in a couple of days, Its either that or toms classic conversion. I would like a bigger booster than Toms offers but I want to go with a flattop master so my options are limited.
Dan63ChalfonteBlue

Re: scarebird disc brake conversion

Post by Dan63ChalfonteBlue »

Funny - I just bought a kit from Mark Thursday. Not here yet. Had a nice email chat with him; he's a smart guy when it comes to the topic. Here's a few takes on the conversation:
Rotors - he doesn't think slotted/drilled rotors are appropriate for street cars (which I've heard from others). "Drilled rotors look great - but will crack eventually Note no OEMS use them" - his words. He says you can use them if you want to, though. For me the looks don't matter since they'll sit behind Kelsey Hayes wires wheels anyway. He likes the vented NAPA 4886748/7 and says they'll fit the 14" bullet bird wheels just fine. NAPA calipers too: CAL N4745/6. His install sheets give you many choices on all this, including NAPA, Wagner, etc easily obtained anywhere. If you want a copy I can send it to you so you can check it out before buying.
If you want to wait a bit I'll give you a blow-by-blow on the install when it happens. I got hooked up based on a conversation with a guy named KENN on:
https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com ... sion.7704/
who used the 1960 kit with great results. I love the idea these kits use pads/rotors/calipers you can easily get anywhere, no special parts (that get discontinued!) and will even work with the existing booster/master cylinder.
ricklove

Post by ricklove »

I'm interested in the drum to disc conversion also. If possible, can you provide a complete list of parts needed (m/c, hoses, clips, etc, etc, etc) TIA!!!
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

He's wrong about one thing; lots of OEM's used drilled and/or slotted discs but I agree they aren't right for our cars.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Willwood maybe or ABS Power Brakes
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

I have an ABS Power Brakes front disc brake kit with ceramic pads, booster and dual master cylinder on my 61. This was my first upgrade on this car 6 years ago. It was installed by an experienced shop. Minimal installation hiccups as I recall. Larger booster clears my Thunderbird valve covers ok. These brakes were a little noisy for the first hundred miles or so. Some GM parts. Good stopping power. No regrets.

Bill

P.S. - Pay attention to wheel requirements for disc brake conversion kits. Some won’t work with original 14” wheels.
Attachments
B509611B-0057-4A5A-8150-927D50D4BEBA.jpeg
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
Daveya

Post by Daveya »

I went with Scarebird and have all the parts now. The thing is I looked at all the suspension parts that looked shakey and decided to replace all the parts behind the brakes right away. including coils so I will let you know how it goes. I found the hawk brake pads he mentioned but they don't make them anymore. The main hawk distributor online still had a set so I got mine. I also found a 9-inch brake booster that is only 3.5 inches deep that fits where the stock one was. 40 dollars on eBay. 7 left if you need one. Getting an ebay guy to set up a master with bleeders and an under-mount proportioning valve with front metering and a rear pressure for the drums built-in. It will be online in the next couple of days.
Gagarin

Post by Gagarin »

I did the Wilwood conversion for the booster, I stayed with the drum brakes, for now. Plenty of stopping power.
Wilwood 2.jpg
Wilwood 1.jpg
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150
Daveya

Post by Daveya »

I have the Scarebird front disc conversion in and complete front suspension in!! Yes, I lived through the removal and install of the new coils. The 14-inch rims fit and no rubbing. I will report back when it's on the road. Still replacing all the auto shifter gremlins and redoing the seat skirts. I did fix the power seat that would not work. So excellent progression. Can't wait to drive it. I did put the corvette master cylinder in with the combination valve mounted below it. I also installed the new 40 dollar brake booster with help from my wife who could reach the top bolts of the booster under the dash. That was not fun!! Happy Wrenching!!
doubleload

Post by doubleload »

A new master cylinder and a rebuilt stock booster have been installed on my 62 but still lots of pedal pressure required to slow down. After reading this thread, I wondered if some of you guys are going to aftermarket boosters because the stock unit is a problem.
The local brake shops won’t machine my drums because there is no maximum dimension on the drum. I would go with a disc conversation if I was sure the calipers would clear the wire wheels. Suggestions please.
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

I went back to the stock booster on my 63. I am running the newer style (mustang?) master cylinder. Very happy with it. I also decided to stay with the factory drum brakes. The car has good peddle, good power assist and
Respectable stopping power for drum brakes. Sad no one would turn those for you. If you were in central Texas I would do it for you. Bound to be some old school guy around to help.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Doubleload what size bore on the master cylinder?
Gagarin

Post by Gagarin »

doubleload wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:33 am A new master cylinder and a rebuilt stock booster have been installed on my 62 but still lots of pedal pressure required to slow down. After reading this thread, I wondered if some of you guys are going to aftermarket boosters because the stock unit is a problem.
The local brake shops won’t machine my drums because there is no maximum dimension on the drum. I would go with a disc conversation if I was sure the calipers would clear the wire wheels. Suggestions please.
Interesting regarding the Drums? I am also in TX, no issue getting my drums turned. I went with the Wilwood conversion for safety, I had hardly any pedal but had rebuilt the brakes, This was just an upgrade and I am very happy with the result. I also had the engine out which gave me easy access and had given up on the idea of ever being concurs correct. So, decision based purely on reliability, safety and ease of install at the time.
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150
doubleload

Post by doubleload »

The previous owner found someone to turn the drums. Right out to 11.125”. Way over cut. Bought new replacements. Actually it was your post stating that you had plenty of braking power that convinced me to stay with the drums.
Daveya

Post by Daveya »

Update on scarebird conversion with new master and brake booster. The 14-inch rims work with the conversion but i am sorting out a problem with the lock to lock turning and hitting the lower a-arm. So there might be that one side is going too far or I might have to adjust the stops. The ride is excellent with oe spectrum shocks and new coils and leafs in back. The forty dollar brake booster works great with the corvette master. I found you need to hook the brake switch in the brake hydraulics or the brake lights don't work. duh!! I did find a fitting on speedway motors to hook the brake switch directly to the master on my 4 port master. The only place that has a pipe thread to correct 9/16-18 or 1/2-20 fitting. Just tips I am learning the hard way. I hope it helps somebody. When I get the turn stops figured out I will add it. If I can get it fixed. Always something!!