6r80/10r80 swap

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

Bigtallbird

6r80/10r80 swap

Post by Bigtallbird »

I was preparing my 62 for a swap to a C6 from a 428. While looking at different options now see there are swap kits for the Ford FE motor. The idea of putting an automatic 6 or 10 speed is really appealing. Roughly though the cost is 900 for the adaptor kit, 1200 for the electronic controller, 700-1200 for the tranny and then all the adapting to either our column or installing a center console. would love to hear any feedback on what you guys think.
El Leon

Re: 6r80/10r80 swap

Post by El Leon »

I had looked into a simple C6 swap as we had a couple lying around the shop plus the ability to fabricate the tranny brace in-house.

Ultimately it was far too much of a project to deal with adapting the linkage and running new lines. Can't imagine how much work would be needed to step up a half century to a modern transmission....

My plan now is to slowly blow up cruise-o's by throwing plenty of torque at them, plus the shorter gears and higher stall converter. Overall it's cheaper/easier to go through a half dozen cruise-o's than adapt even a single C6.
Stirling Moss once said “There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.”

But then Albert Einstein replied, “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
Bigtallbird

Re: 6r80/10r80 swap

Post by Bigtallbird »

Thats one way to look at it. I had the motor built up nicely. With the sniper Efi and all I was looking to prevent all the blow outs while I have everything stripped down. The COM though is still hanging there. The easy thing would be to just bolt it all back up and sell of the C6 i originally had built up for it. The ideas keep flowing, but is the wallet able to keep up? lets see what happens :fadein: