Hood Hinge is Suspect

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

cuul59

Hood Hinge is Suspect

Post by cuul59 »

Hi Everyone,
New (proud) owner of my first ‘57! I’m had a number of Squarebirds, but this is my first Little Bird. As I work through my triage list I am down a few items that I’m not sure how to address. One is my hood. As I close it, it wants move slightly toward the drivers side and I have to redirect it so it aligns properly to close. I think the right hinge may be suspect and specifically the hood hinge spring. Anyone ever run into this? If my suspicion is correct, I purchased a replacement spring...but I am unsure how to replace it, hopefully without having to remove the hood. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Neil
CUUL59
redstangbob

Re: Hood Hinge is Suspect

Post by redstangbob »

Hi Neil, I moved your post to the correct section. As a new member PLEASE read the guidelines for posting. Thanks, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
ICON 1956

Re: Hood Hinge is Suspect

Post by ICON 1956 »

DO you have the 1957 Shop Manual? There is a chapter that shows how to align the hood. I have a 56 If you don't I realign my hood a few months ago. What i'm reading in your post it seems someone moved the dowels/springs .I would first mark the base of the hood dowel/springs with masking tape. Then loosen the hinge bolts loosen the bolts a little on the side that you think is the "suspect" gently close the hood, see where hood lines up and push down. If that doesn't work then loosen the other dowel/spring base and again try to close the hood. You might need to push down now one side will stay up then go to the other side and push down. Again do not over loosen the bases just enough to have them fall into place. Release the hood to open and tighten the bases. Then about a foot let the hood drop it should fall in place shut. You might need to repeat this until you see that the hood would fall in place with out any maneuvering your hand pushing down to close it. I hope this helps. Here's a picture from the 1956 Shop Manual this should be the same for the 57
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309