65 Convertible top help

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

mark1965tbird

Re: 65 Convertible top help

Post by mark1965tbird »

Thanks jtschug, that was way more helpful than the manual. How do I know when the switch needs adjustment? My suspicion now is the only the deck open (forgot the name), switch may need adjustment, but one never knows.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

The switches usually do not need to be adjusted.

Upper Back Panel Limit Switches are the most troublesome and they wear out and start acting funky. If that happens, send it back to Certified Rebuilders and get it rebuilt. It will probably be properly adjusted when you get it back. Another problem is a cracked flip lid transmission housing, or worn gears, or improperly adjusted gear lash that can appear like a bad UBPLS, but is actually a different problem with the flip lid drooping down when the top is up.

If you ever need to replace a switch, mark where it came off and try to duplicate as best you can when you put it back, then you may have to do some adjustment from there. Same if you need to remove and reinstall switches for any reason.

If you start adjusting things for better gaps and panel alignment, sometimes the switches will also need adjustment.

If the decklid is "popping' off the locks, or not opening when it unlocks, that is a sign that you need deck closed switch adjustment. If the top hits the decklid when folding or unfolding, then the deck open switch needs adjustment. If the package tray doesn't sit right or the clamps don't reach all the way to the header, then the top up limit switch might need adjustment. If the deck hits the top when it is down or the top punctures the trunk trim, then the the top down switch might need adjustment.

In your case, a switch wouldn't come out of adjustment from being parked for a while. It could be that the adjustment was marginal, and now it isn't working at all, so an adjustment will help. I think it is more likely you've got corrosion or some other resistance somewhere in the hydraulic pump circuit during top down, deck open operation. It is either in the triggering of the Deck Open relay, or in the power feed of the pump. It could be in the relay boot and you've been looking right at the problem the whole time.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Thanks again. I soldered in the new pigtail, ugly but solid. Waiting for the relay and then I will connect.
I agree on you comments re; electrical connections. When the top was working it seemed aligned well. This "stop/start" stuff certainly seems electrical.
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Well, I installed the new relay and the top worked! It was a little jerky and I found a loose bus bar screw. fixed that, lowered the led and....it won't open again. "bump bump bump", and one side of the deck is up a bit, one side down. I am tired and leaving town in a bit, back to the fight on Sunday night I guess.
I will say that the new pigtail fits super tight compared to the old one. Guess I fixed part of the problem (?).
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Which side is drooping down?

The deck closed switch is on the passenger side. If that is the droopy side then some adjustment might be needed. Maybe not the switch. I’m wondering if moving the lock socket up a bit might help.
Livermore, CA
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

I am away from the car now, but I believe the drivers' side is flush with the car, passenger side is raised 1/2" or so. It didn't sound like the screws were turning, so maybe I didn't reconnect the deck lock or unlock relays well. But if I'm getting a bumping then the screws are turning? Very frustrating.
apines

Post by apines »

The bump bump bump sound is the deck lid bouncing on top of the lock nuts, so you know the lock motor is turning and at least one of the lock screws is spinning (the only reason one wouldn't be spinning is if you disconnected the sleeved cable to the lock screw assembly and I suspect you didn't do that).

I agree with Jason on the drooping issue. If it's uneven then one of the receivers (in the body) may need to be adjusted so both sides are at the same height. You'll have to get the lid open again to adjust them.
current:
1966 Ford Thunderbird Q-code convertible with Highway Pilot
1975 Triumph Spitfire
past:
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1974 Triumph TR6
1968 Ford Galaxie convertible
1974 VW Super Beetle
1981 Checker Marathon
VTCI membership #12807
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

I agree, and I'll get the lid open again. It's frustrating how seemingly random changes make the top work perfectly...for a bit. I agree that it very much seems electrical. I've cleaned obvious connections but I haven't gotten the right ones I guess.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

It is probably electrical, but if you could confirm that the pump is running, then I would change my tune to say the problem is in the hydraulic system
Livermore, CA
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Once I get it open I'll check.
The pump has clearly run before (when the top has magically worked...then stopped). Maybe it's an electrical connection to the pump?
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Ok everyone, I got the deck lid up by lifting the passenger side corner while my son held the "top up" button. A few things I noticed;
Originally I found the pigtail for "deck open" to be cooked a little on the "motor" terminal. I replaced that pigtail and relay.
Now I found that the pigtail for "deck closed" to be cooked in the same "motor" spot. Rubber is melted a bit and the relay prong is brown.
Confirmed the pump is working.
Is it possible that a maladjusted switch is making me cook pigtails? Attached are pics of the switch I think I need to check and the cooked pigtail.
Switch
Switch
Attachments
motor location that's cooked
motor location that's cooked
deck close pigtail
deck close pigtail
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Cooked connectors are the result of one thing: resistance. Dirt and corrosion in the connector cause a little bit of resistance and the motor draws like 30 Amps. Even just 2 Ohms of resistance will cause 60 Watts of heating. 60 Watts in that tight little space will melt stuff. Keep the connections clean.

If lifting up the corner of the deck caused the top to go up, then you should perhaps push the passenger lock socket up a bit so that the screws push the deck up a bit more during the unlock cycle.
Livermore, CA
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Thanks. I'm taking to a shop for a couple of other things and I may ask them to look at this too.