Transmission. leak C6 trans.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Rt.146

Transmission. leak C6 trans.

Post by Rt.146 »

My 66 after sitting without starting for a little over a year started to leak transmission fluid, I been told it could be because it has not been started, and starting it should tighten up the gaskets, that would be nice, or is it more of a problem? Would it leak from where the bell-housing connects to the engine possible a seal or is it the trans. gasket itself any suggestions on the why, would be appreciated.
RedBird64

Re: Transmission. leak C6 trans.

Post by RedBird64 »

It could leak from any seal or gasket. The most common seems to be the pan gasket and/or where the dipstick tube is connected to the pan. There's supposed to be a copper washer in there but it's usually lost and then they just tighten down the tube without it. Even the shop that rebuilt mine did that.
It does seem like mine drips less if it's driven regularly (same for the steering gear). It doesn't hurt to try!
BTW, there isn't a gasket around the bell housing (there's a paper gasket at the inspection plate but it's more for keeping dust out) . There's a seal around the shaft that comes out of the trans and into the torque converter.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

There's supposed to be a copper washer in there but it's usually lost and then they just tighten down the tube without it.
This may well be true for a COM, but in any C6 that I have seen the dip stick tube is sealed to the transmission case with an o-ring. A little pressure is applied to the o-ring when the upper part of the tube is bolted to the back of the engine.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

cacockrum wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:32 pm
There's supposed to be a copper washer in there but it's usually lost and then they just tighten down the tube without it.
This may well be true for a COM, but in any C6 that I have seen the dip stick tube is sealed to the transmission case with an o-ring. A little pressure is applied to the o-ring when the upper part of the tube is bolted to the back of the engine.
That's right - I forgot!
Much better design.

Thx for the correction.
S
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

Thanks for the answers, Monday the car goes to AMOCO, I'll mention the copper ring to them. The auto upholstery shop I had interior work done, called the owner, he put me right in, killing two birds with one stone, he is able to take care of ignition problems also, mine will not start from the switch, though will turn from the battery. It has been two years since I bought it, it ran good then though needed quite a bit of work, progress is being made.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Rt.146 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:50 am Thanks for the answers, Monday the car goes to AMOCO, I'll mention the copper ring to them. The auto upholstery shop I had interior work done, called the owner, he put me right in, killing two birds with one stone, he is able to take care of ignition problems also, mine will not start from the switch, though will turn from the battery. It has been two years since I bought it, it ran good then though needed quite a bit of work, progress is being made.
As Cacokrum said, your C6 doesn't have the copper seal thingy - which is good because it was a terrible design!

Scott