65 Convertible top help

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

mark1965tbird

Re: 65 Convertible top help

Post by mark1965tbird »

jtschug, I went through your steps. Found one relay connecter that was pretty bad. Went through everything, reconnected and the top and lid go down! They will also go up...but nothing after (just clicks). The next step should be lid folding down I believe?
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

OK, on Halloween the deck was open and lid extended with the top up. You cleaned the relays and then the top went down and the deck closed?

Now you are getting nothing but clicks?

If the top is down and the deck is closed, then the next step if you push the switch to UP is deck open.

If the top is down and the deck is open and the switch is pushed to DOWN then the next step is deck close.

If the top is down and the deck is open and the switch is pushed to UP the next step is top erect

If the top is up and the deck is open and the lid is extended, then the next step when the switch is pushed to UP is lid retract

It is important to know which is the next step because that will point you to a switch or a relay related to that function
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Yes, I survived Halloween.
Currently the top is down and deck and lid are down. I think the next step should be top erect (or does the lid come down before top erect?)? When I push the switch for top up, the deck and lid raise all the way (almost 90 degrees, straight up), then nothing but clicks. From this state I can push the switch top down, and the deck and lid will come down again.
Fyi, you were right, one pigtail connecter for a relay was damaged, corroded and a bit melted on one connection. I cleaned it and carefully reconnected it- I plan to replace that pigtail. The relay is on the driver's side bank of relays, closest to the seats, left relay.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

The flip lid is always extended when the top is moving. It folds after the top is up.

Take a close look at the Top Up relay which is on the passenger side relay bank, outboard rear
Livermore, CA
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

It works! Not perfectly, sometimes a few functions stop ( lid extend, top up), but it works. Thank you very much!
Do you know which relays are for which functions? I can't find that in the shop manual and troubleshooting guide.
It seems like the pigtail-relay connections can be really finicky. I may replace any that look suspect. Do people use di electric grease or anything else to make these more stable?
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

...Gets his soapbox out...
Dielectric grease will never make a connection better but can certainly hinder one. There also seems to be some evidence that DG holds moisture in. I know some are pro DG but as a retired avionics tech that made a lot of money removing that gunk from failed connections, please get everything working right and then if you must, slather that stuff on.
But nothing will work better than a clean, dry, tight connection.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Passenger Side Relay Bank:

Rear
Top Up | Lid Retract
Top Down | Lid Extend
Front

Driver's side Relay Bank:

Rear
Deck Close | Deck Lock
Deck Open | Deck Unlock
Front
Livermore, CA
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Thanks again. I guess just replace any pigtails that look suspect? Anything else people do to make this set up less finicky?
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

After getting the top working, I'm back to "top up, lid will unlock but deck won't open, just bumping noise". I made a jumper and when I use it on the deck open relay, I get a click, that's all. The shop manual says that the deck closed limit switch is maladjusted.
I ordered replacement pigtails (deck open one is a little melted), and I ordered a deck open relay, but now I'm wondering of it's the deck closed limit switch. Why would the deck open pigtail rubber melt and that spade turn brown? Why only "click" when I jump the deck open relay?
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Anyone?
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

If it were the Deck Closed limit switch adjustment, then lifting up the passenger side front corner *while* pushing the Top Down switch would cause it to open. Look for broken wires on the switch, or 'almost broken', or corrosion. Things that would cause intermittent operation
Livermore, CA
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

Thanks, I will. When you wrote "broken wires on the switch", did you mean the deck closed limit switch"? Any idea why the jumper won't work? Working on the car right now.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Maybe the battery is dead.

There are a lot of ways that a jumper won't work. I'd have to see it.
Livermore, CA
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Yes, I've had issues with the wires up by the deck closed limit switch getting corroded and brittle.
Livermore, CA
mark1965tbird

Post by mark1965tbird »

thanks, trying to get the deck open to see the wires. I'm stuck at "thump thump thump" right now. Deck unlocks, but won't open.