1965 Steering gear question.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

RegP65

1965 Steering gear question.

Post by RegP65 »

Does the steering gearbox in a 65 have a bleeder valve? Is there some other way to bleed out the air? (other than the typical jack it up and turn the wheel method) I have cavitation and whine... (new rebuilt Eaton pump, new HP lines, proper ATF, not leaks anywhere) Perplexed!!!
sseebart

Re: 1965 Steering gear question.

Post by sseebart »

RegP65 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:47 am Does the steering gearbox in a 65 have a bleeder valve? Is there some other way to bleed out the air? (other than the typical jack it up and turn the wheel method) I have cavitation and whine... (new rebuilt Eaton pump, new HP lines, proper ATF, not leaks anywhere) Perplexed!!!
I don't believe it does, but jacking it up, turning the wheels and running the wipers, as outlined in the manual, works fine.

~Steve
RegP65

Post by RegP65 »

Thanks Steve,
I've tried that many times, nothing seems to help. I heard some air noises and sometimes fluid spirts out of the hole in the reservoir cap. But, the problem persists. Don't know what else to do.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Try using a little patience and time and you will get there. Time is the factor.
If you run the motor longer than a minute or two, you will tend to start to draw the returning oil which has tiny air pockets back into the system.
Stop and wait until the oil/air has separated, then cycle a few more seconds, let sit and short cycle again. Keep doing this until you do not see any noticeable air. This is the time part. Once you have gone this far, repeat the cycle with moving the wheels. Again in short run times. Then finally the wipers on LOW speed in short cycles.
The big trick is to let the oil settle and separate, or you will just reintroduce air back into the system.
Others may not agree, but it has worked for me many times, with no whine, howl, chatter or any other issues. Just my 2 cents worth, and we do not have pennies in Canada any more!!!
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
RegP65

Post by RegP65 »

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll give it a try. I ran the engine for about 45 sec.then shut it off.
How long should I wait between cycles?
Reg