Pink-Resistance Wire

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

MN63Tbird

Re: Pink-Resistance Wire

Post by MN63Tbird »

After trying to figure out what the correct combos are for ignitions on our 12 Volt 8 cylinder cars the following seem to be the ones available. The system resistance is an important selection on setting up the ignition system. The pink resistance wire is located under the dash connected to the ignition switch module. The Ballast resistors are usually connected to the coil mounting bracket. Ballast resistors come in different resistance values.

Original Ignition system with points
1.4 ohm pink resistance wire from ignition switch and 1.5 ohm coil

Pertronix ignition system- 1.5 ohm total resistance preferred
1.5 ohm original points style coil
1.5 ohm Flamethrower coil

Accel and Mallory ignition system 1.4-1.5 total ohm system ballast resistor is preferred
0.8 ohm ballast resistor and 0.6 ohm coil Flamethrower II
1.5 ohm coil Flamethrower II or 1.4 ohm Accel 8140 coil

The one that I am not as sure on is the pertronix. Some instructions indicate that a minimum of 1.5 ohms is required but does not mentioned any maximum which brings in can you still use the resistance wire.

MN63
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code
Cam44

Post by Cam44 »

Thank you for all the input on this question. I discussed this issue with a mechanic that has a great deal of experience with Fords.
Evidently the resistor wire was used to lower the voltage to the points so that they would last longer. Some car companies built the resistance
into the coil, reason that there are coils with and without internal resistors. As indicated by some of your input electronic ignitions wants a higher voltage. His solution bypass the resistor wire and make sure coil does not have internal resistor. Did that and so far everything works.
surfmurf

Post by surfmurf »

My book of '63 Bird wiring diagrams does not show a Ceramic resistor. But does show the PINK Resistor Wire. The PerTronix
Ignitor lll (3) (installing now) does recommend REPLACING the Pink resistor wire with a Stranded 12 gauge wire. Not mandatory, but PerTronix suggests it may run better.
Not sure if that means I can leave about 1" of the Pink Resistor at each end of the Pink 'cuz both ends butt directly into OEM moulded connectors at each end (one at the Firewall connector), leaving nothing to attach the new 12 ga Stranded wire to if removing ALL the Pink wire.
[You'll need to rent a small, electrically inclined child, to get at the Pink for you.]
[u]IMPORTANT:[/u] I do [b]NOT[/b] know if the Resistor Wire can simply be removed, without replacing it in the circuit with the 12 ga Stranded wire.
If anyone does know, please advise.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

If I understand your last comment, you wish to disconnect the Pink wire, BUT not replace it with a 12 ga wire. Plus cut its ends!!!
Well this will mean that the motor will not remain running when you release the key from the START position. The pink wire is the circuit for RUN.
There should be no reason to cut the Pink wire ends, just unplug the bullet connector ends from the harness and install a Bypass wire with new bullet ends, and run the wire parallel to the existing PINK wire as a guide.
In this fashion you leave the car stock with no mods AND you leave the PINK wire intact and usable.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
surfmurf

Post by surfmurf »

I do NOT have butt connectors on my Pink. [ That would be great, but "Murphys Law" says no way, nothing easy for you ! ! ] The Pink attaches into the circuit via molded OEM rubber connectors, the Firewall end has about 8-10 wires going into the same Firewall connector plug. And my Pink's insulation is a partly a tad ratty That is why I was asking if I could leave 1 inch of the Pink at each end and splice the new 12 ga stranded wire onto these two 1" end pieces? I need something to attach the Pink's replacement onto. Or run a whole new wire from the Ignition through the Firewall to the Coil. That would be easier, but screams NOT original. I'm try to stay OEM as closely as possible, except for Clear Coat used on painted Engine Compartment stuff. Looks nice and sheds dirt and oil better and is a bit more corrosion resistant too.
Any know if i can keep two 1" ends of Resistor wire to splice onto ? ? ?
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

OK, I might be putting my foot in it, but on page 2-10 of the 62/63 shop manual, it talks about a replacement RESISTER wire and mentions the application of bullet connectors at both ends of the wire. One at the ignition switch and one at the engine compartment. Why not just re/re the resistor wire with a jumper as discussed including the bullet ends
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible