Power Steering Issue

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

DaveG

Power Steering Issue

Post by DaveG »

Hi, Just wondering if any one can help me.

64 Bird Power steering pump, reservoir on top type .
Mine has failed, the pulley is freewheeling on the pump shaft, key seems to have disappeared been chewed up what ever

My problem is the pulley is quite sloppy so not sure if the shaft is worn or the pulley is worn
Does anyone have a pump where they can measure the shaft diameter and ID of the pulley please if possible.

Thanks Dave
Dave
64 Hardtop Burgundy / White Vinyl Roof / Pearl White Interior 17" 5 spoke wheels/ 2" Whitewalls - Melbourne Australia
RedBird64

Re: Power Steering Issue

Post by RedBird64 »

Hi Dave,
Hopefully someone has those laying around and can measure for you.
I'm afraid that if the pump seized and the pully has been spinning on a stationary shaft, both the shaft and pulley are probably bad now - hope I'm wrong though.
Have you tired to turn the pump shaft by hand?

Scott
Last edited by RedBird64 on Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
DaveG

Re: Power Steering Issue

Post by DaveG »

Hi Scott
That's the funny thing, pump shaft doesnt appear to have locked up even when trying to undoo the pulley, the bolt & shaft would turn freely inside the pulley. Who knows. Looks like i'll be ordering a rebuilt pump and new pulley. Hopefully they are still available
Dave
64 Hardtop Burgundy / White Vinyl Roof / Pearl White Interior 17" 5 spoke wheels/ 2" Whitewalls - Melbourne Australia