Something's Pulling My New Battery Down

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

stevegintn

Something's Pulling My New Battery Down

Post by stevegintn »

Ok, from our discussion of powering an electric choke, I took you guys advice, and REMOVED the choke hot wire from the coil.

I thought I had found a suitable replacement, at an ALWAYS HOT terminal on the power windows relay on the firewall.

Then my 3-yo battery died, and would not hold a recharge. We have had brutal hot weather here all summer, and I don't drive my non-ac car but about once a week. So I thought it was just time for a new battery.

Now, my brand new 885 CCA battery has failed TWICE.

Is it possible that the ALWAYS HOT power wire is pulling it down?

That's the only thing new I have don't to my car, since adding the electric choke early spring.

I believe I saw that there's a SWITCHED HOT terminal on top of the voltage regulator, so I am going to try that.
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
RedBird64

Re: Something's Pulling My New Battery Down

Post by RedBird64 »

Absolutley. If anything is hot while the car is off, that energy is coming from the battery.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

RedBird64 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:21 pm Absolutley. If anything is hot while the car is off, that energy is coming from the battery.
OK, thanks, RedBird64 - I went out this morning and yanked the choke wire. Car seems to start and run WITHOUT the electric choke?

I was hoping to power back to the starter relay (in front of the battery), but the two terminals are ALWAYS HOT. So, I guess it will be through the firewall and to the fuse panel.
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Steve, WIthout the wire attached the car will start normally because the choke will still be in the "cold" position. Your choke will likely stick on too long and that isn't good for your eng.
Without the wire, the transition from cold to warm wont graduate properly.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

RedBird64 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:13 pm Steve, WIthout the wire attached the car will start normally because the choke will still be in the "cold" position. Your choke will likely stick on too long and that isn't good for your eng.
Without the wire, the transition from cold to warm wont graduate properly.

Scott
Thanks, again, Scott - yes, I realize that. Went out this morning and found a new SWITCHED ON circuit - the fan switch at the firewall, so tapped into it with the choke wire, and it seems to be operating correctly.
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
jec13

Post by jec13 »

For powering an electric choke on 1961 390 Autolite 4100: I connected mine to the primary output of the generator. With a 10-amp fuse in line. Idea is that the electric choke is powered only when the generator is turning, eg. when the engine is running. Seems to work perfectly and to be the most obvious solution. Question for the experts out there: Is there anything electrically wrong or harmful with powering an electric choke this way?
John C, Rockford MI USA
1961 Thunderbird HT
Previous Cars
1958 Thunderbird HT
1957 and 1959 Ford Skyliner Retractable
1958 and 1959 Edsel HT and Convertible
Also, 1948 Ford Tudor, 1935 Ford Coupe,
1930 Model A Coupe, 1925 Model T Coupe
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

jec13 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:38 am For powering an electric choke on 1961 390 Autolite 4100: I connected mine to the primary output of the generator. With a 10-amp fuse in line. Idea is that the electric choke is powered only when the generator is turning, eg. when the engine is running. Seems to work perfectly and to be the most obvious solution. Question for the experts out there: Is there anything electrically wrong or harmful with powering an electric choke this way?
I cannot answer your question, John - sorry

But to update my situation, I tapped into the SWITCHED HOT wire for the electric fan motor (at the firewall). So far, seems to be working fine?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N