Hard Top Question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Cavalier

Re: Hard Top Question

Post by Cavalier »

ICON 1956 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:42 pm To request a Factory invoice for your Thunderbird from CTCI, complete the following steps:

1. Complete the invoice request form providing all of the information (go to CTCI.org);
2. Send a copy of positive proof of ownership;
3. You must possess a current CTCI membership;
4. You must provide a legible rubbing from the vehicle data plate (pencil or dirty finger rub works great);
5. You must send payment in form of a check or money order for $50.00 (see www.CTCI.org).

I would like to add this, as a member of VTCI, I belong to both Thunderbird organizations. I have met a lot of great members who share their experiences and technical skills that have helped me maintain my Thunderbird.
Thank you for your assistance. I joined CTCI after reading your email. It will require additional time to provide positive proof of ownership since the car is being repaired and repainted at the current time and must be inspected before the state provides a title.
Cavalier

Post by Cavalier »

Is there any disadvantage of purchasing a hardtop that was converted from a non-porthole model to the porthole model? Thanks.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Non that I can think of -- if the trim, hardware,weather strips and the headliner is correct for the car it is to be used on. As I understand it, all the fiberglass shells are the same shape and were made by the same company. The big thing (other than cost) is the latches must be correct for the car its used on - an easy conversion. The other items are cosmetic and only matter if in certain levels of judging.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
rickbucc

Post by rickbucc »

ellevee wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:02 pm Where are you located? I have 3 hard tops in different conditions. I am in southern california
I'm looking for a complete :angel: :angel: porthole hardtop. I have only a soft top that doesn't fit well.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

a complete hard top could cost you between $3,000 to $5,900 depending on the condition. I know that Amos Minter's hard tops are not cheap, Their very expensive....
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
1957Birdman

Post by 1957Birdman »

I would check with Prestige Thunderbird or Hill's before assuming the best bet is Minter. Prestige definitely has tops and they are a good place to work with. Talk with Rick Harbaugh there.

Also, be aware that the T-Bird invoice will not indicate whether the car had a porthole or non-porthole hardtop. The invoice only indicates that the car came with a hardtop. The only way to tell for sure is to find the build sheet for the car. The build sheet may or may not be there as it seems like Ford did not put them in the car in a specific spot. I have not been able to find one for my car and that seems to be the case for most people that I know.
Regards,
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White with Porthole Hardtop