Rear deck stereo speakers?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

dontano

Rear deck stereo speakers?

Post by dontano »

Hi. I hate the idea of having to cut two holes in the rear metal deck to mount stereo speakers. I'm thinking about surface mount speakers, which will only require drilling 4 small holes to bolt them down. What do you think?
works4food

Re: Rear deck stereo speakers?

Post by works4food »

Here's what I did:

Top1.jpeg
bottom2.jpeg
Side3.jpeg
mounttop.jpeg
mountbotom.jpeg
Spare1.jpeg
Spare2.jpeg
dontano

Post by dontano »

Thanks worksforfood. That looks great, but what did you do with the solid metal deck shelf? Did you just eliminate it?
Gagarin

Post by Gagarin »

dontano wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:02 pm Thanks worksforfood. That looks great, but what did you do with the solid metal deck shelf? Did you just eliminate it?
My question as well, i just painted and re-installed my package tray as well, literally this AM. I was looking at speaker mounting options as well but having been on this earth for a spell and knowing my limitations it did not take me long to give up on the idea. So how did you fare?
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150
Mheiron

Post by Mheiron »

You could save a lot of trouble by buying a good Bluetooth speaker and playing tunes off your phone unless your really nostalgic and like to listen to how bad the old radios sound! I’ve even tried the antenna adapter to the phone.

I go for the look of the original radio but prefer to listen to tunes through modern equipment. Modern equipment installed in a classic car looks odd to me. I’ve fooled around a long time trying to get the old equipment to at least sound decent but it just can’t satisfy the modern ear.

The metal shelf for the original ford rear speaker option had slots cut in it. It wasn’t centered but was on the passenger side. My ‘63 shelf is like that. Can’t imagine that it would ever sound good but the dash speaker also plays through a metal grid so who knows what ford was thinking back then.

The Bluetooth speaker on the console is much easier and it’ll play louder than I want to hear. Sounds excellent.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Mark H.
Current bird nest:
1961 Restored Chestnut Convertible
1963 M-code Hard Top - Being restored
1995 White T-bird Super Coupe - Fun Toy
dontano

Post by dontano »

Gagarin, I'll crawl around the trunk in the next few days and try to figure out how to remove the metal rear deck without bending it up. Once it's out of the car, I'm sure cutting the openings for stereo speakers will be pretty straight forward. I'll let you know.
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

Here is another option instead of cutting up the rear deck. I mounted speakers behind the front seats. The Panels are removable for judging. Sound may not be as robust as the rear mount speakers but they do provide a nice bass note. I also used the front center speaker and mounted two small tweeters under the dash in the corners.

MN63
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code
dontano

Post by dontano »

Very cool. I'll look into that. Thanks!
works4food

Post by works4food »

dontano wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:02 pm Thanks worksforfood. That looks great, but what did you do with the solid metal deck shelf? Did you just eliminate it?
I've the same concern: destroying a perfectly good package shelf trying to get the right look & sound. So I decided to fabricate one for a trail run.
board.jpeg
setscrewside.jpeg
setscrew.jpeg
rearexterior.jpeg
Inside.jpeg
I originally drilled many small holes in the shape of the speaker, but it sounded way to muffled. My next step is to cover the hardboard shelf with vinyl with piping to extend the piping from the rear seats for an added bit of style. I'll then use a leather punch to create holes, again, and hopefully the sound will be less impeded. I'll send the final results.
dontano

Post by dontano »

Wow. That's awesome!
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I wonder how your new deck would look covered with the Sunbrella fabric? (Google it) Its an outdoor fabric available in lots of colors and would let the sound through. Some small support strips across the speaker openings may be required though to prevent sagging. Just a thought!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Gagarin

Post by Gagarin »

I missed this prior, way smart, I had considered buying a salvage package tray and butchering that but this is a good option. I may do the same.
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150
works4food

Post by works4food »

Finally got around to finishing my package shelf replecation. Designing/Punching the holes into the vinyl took about 3 attempts to get the simple clean look I wanted.
Attachments
prmo2.jpeg
prmo.jpeg
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Nice work, very professional. please get rid of the hat :lol:
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Otto Customs

Post by Otto Customs »

Hello,

I had the same problem that there was not enough space under the package tray to fit oval 9" x 6" speakers.
So what I did was making some MDF rings to "raise" the speakers so they would take up less space on the underside.
The original structure from the trunk is also untouched.
Currently I have some JBL GT7-96 (9" x 6") speakers installed. It is of course not everybody's taste, but I can live with it.

Image Image Image