Install Lap or 3 point seat belt? What's your opinion?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

dontano

Install Lap or 3 point seat belt? What's your opinion?

Post by dontano »

Hi. I have a '61 hardtop that came with absolutely no seat belts. I'd like other Thunderbird owner opinions about which way to go.
It's fairly easy to install simple lap belts compared to 3 point shoulder belts. What's your opinion?
ICON 1956

Re: Install Lap or 3 point seat belt? What's your opinion?

Post by ICON 1956 »

Are you planing to keep the car stock, then do the lap belts. Are you planing to use the car as a daily driver then do three point....This decision depends on you on how you want your car.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
dontano

Post by dontano »

Hi ICON 1956. Thanks for helping me make my decision. I plan on using the car often as a daily driver, so the 3 point seat belts are the right choice. I plan on using the door post just below the rear window as the third anchor point. Seems a lot simpler then reinforcing the roof, cutting the chrome trim and taking down and reinstalling the headliner.
vince

Post by vince »

Your plan is actually the better one. Deep in owners manuals of newer cars and in safety blogs is the instruction the 'ideal' placement is for the shoulder belt to come from below and over your shoulder.
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress
dontano

Post by dontano »

Thanks Vince. I appreciate your advice.
kbuhagiar

Has anyone Installed 3 point seat belts in 61-63 Bird?

Post by kbuhagiar »

dontano wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:52 am Hi ICON 1956. Thanks for helping me make my decision. I plan on using the car often as a daily driver, so the 3 point seat belts are the right choice. I plan on using the door post just below the rear window as the third anchor point. Seems a lot simpler then reinforcing the roof, cutting the chrome trim and taking down and reinstalling the headliner.
Resurrecting this thread because I too am interested in installing 3-point seat belts and would like to know if anyone here has used the door post for the third anchor point, as described above.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)
Andrew7026

Post by Andrew7026 »

Just for aesthetic reasons, if you could install a latch that keeps the seats upright, and if it is true that a shoulder belt should come from below your shoulder, then could you mount it in the seat just to keep the interior nice looking?