Seats?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

GregL

Seats?

Post by GregL »

When I purchased my '57 the seat was missing. Previous owner had sent it to the upholstery shop to be redone. Long story short, shop went out of biz, seat went missing, the end.
On my search for a replacement I've found seats are not too difficult to locate but the tracks can pose a bit of a problem. The car originally had the power seat option but it's not critical to me. I'd be just as happy with a manual adjust seat.
Should it be easier or more difficult to locate one vs. the other? I assume the tracks are different?
Appreciate any leads I could follow and all input.
Greg
fordrodsteven

Re: Seats?

Post by fordrodsteven »

Where are you located? I live North of Boston, MA and might have a solution for you if not too far.
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird
GregL

Post by GregL »

Steve, I couldn't be further away. I'm in Palm Springs, California, but I'm willing to listen to anything! :lol:
Greg
GregL

Post by GregL »

Also, can someone please tell me the width of the '57 bench seat?
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

GregL wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:31 am Also, can someone please tell me the width of the '57 bench seat?
My seat which is original measures 53 1/2 across. I had it redone by CASCO, new foam and covers. If I had to do over I would find a set of mid 60s Mustang bucket seats. Would be more comfortable.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
GregL

Post by GregL »

Thanks for the measurement. Funny you mention the Mustang seats. I am looking at a 1965 Mustang front bench seat. Measurement is very close. Seat pattern is not drastically different and it has the fold down arm rest in the center,
which would be nice.
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

I do enjoy the bench seat, we take our granddaughter with us some times and it’s nice but without bolsters it’s not very comfortable. An arm rest would be nice as well.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
ellevee

Post by ellevee »

Theres someone in Rialto CA selling a seat frame on craigslist for $200. I don't know him, but it may be just what you need.
GregL

Post by GregL »

Thanks ellevee, I saw that one and contacted the seller a few weeks ago. After about 7 or 8 one word replies to my questions, I finally got the info that several of the springs were missing, others were rusted and broken. Too bad, that would have worked for me.
Greg
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Greg - did you get a seat? Two places to recommend - Hill's Thunderbirds in Ohio is one, the other is a guy Named Adrian (lots OF 57 parts) Adrian is at 570-709-0823 (PA).
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
GregL

Post by GregL »

Thanks for the contact Paul, no I have not found a seat yet. I will follow your lead
Best, Greg
DRK25

Post by DRK25 »

Good morning-

MAC auto parts, as well as almost all other parts suppliers, offer a basic foam kit for the bench seat. The cost is around $275. NPD, another parts supplier, has an upgraded foam set that they claim is "far superior" for about $500. My question is, has anyone used the upgraded foam? I am not opposed to spending the extra money for the upgrade but would like to think I'm getting something for it. Thanks!

Dave K
GregL

Post by GregL »

I have been fortunate enough to find a nice, complete seat for $150 from a very friendy private seller.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I am not familiar with the NPD foam. but CASCO has foam sets for a lot less that 500. I have used CASCO's foam and haven't had any problems with it.

To be honest, I would use Mac's stuff as a last resort.
DRK25 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:49 am Good morning-

MAC auto parts, as well as almost all other parts suppliers, offer a basic foam kit for the bench seat. The cost is around $275. NPD, another parts supplier, has an upgraded foam set that they claim is "far superior" for about $500. My question is, has anyone used the upgraded foam? I am not opposed to spending the extra money for the upgrade but would like to think I'm getting something for it. Thanks!

Dave K
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
1957Birdman

Post by 1957Birdman »

You should be aware that the foam that is available from the parts suppliers is stiffer than the original. If you are a tall person (as I am) you will lose at least an inch and a half of headroom when the hardtop is installed. The advantage of the NPD foam (which I didn't use) seems to be that it is molded in the exact shape of the seat. The foam I got from Prestige Thunderbird was cut from a number of pieces and glued together. It was only generally in the shape needed (meaning not molded), but after stretching things out and installing the upholstery it looked like it should. Knowing what I know now I probably wouldn't spend $250 extra to get the molded foam.
Regards,
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White