Vacuum solenoid replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

doubleload

Vacuum solenoid replacement

Post by doubleload »

One of the toe board vacuum solenoids is leaking. Checked the Thunderbird suppliers and found a new unit with a straight actuator arm but 3 of the 4 vacuum solenoids have arms with angles. So, what’s the solution, buy the straight arm solenoid and cut the bent arm off the old one and weld it to the new one?
tbird

Re: Vacuum solenoid replacement

Post by tbird »

Those are not vacuum solenoids they are vacuum operated diaphragm controls.

The straight ones are the only thing available today unless you happen to come across some new old stock parts. You bend and trim the operating linkage to suit the old arm, if they are to long just cut the arm off to suit the original part.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
doubleload

Post by doubleload »

Thanks for the reply Jim.. Actually I called those vacuum diaphragm actuators “ solenoids” because my 62 Thunderbird Shop Manual labels them as solenoids ( see section 10-20 &21).
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Showing my ignorance, but what does a vacuum-operated diaphragm control, control?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
tbird

Post by tbird »

doubleload
The actual correct term used in the H.V.A.C world be vacuum or air motors which are positioned to redirect air or open and close dampers manually or by a controller, but no matter as to what they maybe called by Ford or myself we got you a answer. Will have to take a look at the manual to get reeducated with their potential older term.

Hope that the answer helped you with getting the correct parts that will fix your heating or cooling issues.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
doubleload

Post by doubleload »

Referring to the question about what these 4 vacuum actuators do, one opens and closes the door for the cold air, one controls the door that leads to the heater core, and the others control floor vents. These actuators are buried under the dashboard. Hopefully, when I replace the non functional actuators , the floor vents will close and more air will come out of the air conditioner vent and there will be hot air when the function control is in the “heat” position.
tbird

Post by tbird »

Have you checked out that your issue is not the rotary wheel contained in the dash control unit? If you have a vacuum pump test each actuator with it, not easy to get at the vacuum hoses but would be a good place to start.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars