LED Instrument replacement bulb?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

cscolastico

LED Instrument replacement bulb?

Post by cscolastico »

The signal lights on my 1957 are very dim and hard to see, especially in the day time. Often times I don't realize that they are still on after several miles. Anyone know if there are direct replacement LED bulbs - something where I do not have to modify any wiring but just plug and play??
As always, thanks for your help
fordrodsteven

Re: LED Instrument replacement bulb?

Post by fordrodsteven »

cscolastico wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:21 am The signal lights on my 1957 are very dim and hard to see, especially in the day time. Often times I don't realize that they are still on after several miles. Anyone know if there are direct replacement LED bulbs - something where I do not have to modify any wiring but just plug and play??
As always, thanks for your help
The original incandescent bulb is shown as #57.The LED replacement is a BA9S base. They are available in many different brightness and colors. They are just indicator lights in the dash and should have no effect on the flasher circuit for the directional lights. Need to either try different bulbs to test brightness or do a little research to get an LED bulb that would be a little brighter.
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I used the BA9S bulbs in all the dash lights in my54 Ford. Terrific
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
cscolastico

Post by cscolastico »

Thank you. I did not realize that the bulbs came in different brightness
cscolastico

Post by cscolastico »

Just a quick update. I purchased some led BA9S replacement bulbs and they work great. For some reason the left is not as bright as the right - I may have damaged it in the installation - but in any event way better that the original.

I will say that replacing the right was a beach -but replacing the left was a bass-turd. Took more than 4 hours of twisting and turning and fumbling with the socket - but it's done :smile: