interior trim replacement and restoration

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

68Dave

interior trim replacement and restoration

Post by 68Dave »

Hi i need to replace my door panels in my 64, new replacements are black or white my interior is Lt blue which one do i need and how do i color them? also i need to restore my console and 1/4 trim panels the chrome i can deal with its the console shell and glove box top i don't how to do, thanks Dave.
cacockrum

Re: interior trim replacement and restoration

Post by cacockrum »

Dave,
Before you dive too deeply into dying and installing new skins on your door panels, you might consider another option which is to have the folks at Just Dashes (justdashes.com) restore your original panels. They can also restore all your other pieces --- except the chrome. They did a beautiful job on my ’66.
Art
Dansbirds

Post by Dansbirds »

If it was me I would go with white if I was dying them lt blue. I’ve had good luck with SEM dyes, I’ve also gone to my paint store and had them color match dye for me and sprayed it that way. I have no experience with just dashes as I didn’t know anyplace did that sort of thing (thanks for the tip cacockrum) if your backing board material has gotten wet over time and is deteriorating I’m not sure how they could salvage that.
Have had over 40 t birds here from 57-2004
Currently have a 65,70,and 80 Silver Anniversary
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

Dan,
Just Dashes was able to rebuild the backing board. It looked and fit great.
Art
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Dansbirds wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:40 am ...if your backing board material has gotten wet over time and is deteriorating I’m not sure how they could salvage that.
I had an upholstery place replace the carpet inserts on the bottom of my doors and they covered that cardboard material with a layer of fiberglass (which he did for free because he made a huge scratch in the aluminum strip on the face of the panel... :x )

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
paulr

Post by paulr »

After several years the reproduction panels still perform and look good. But they are hell to work with. Go with Just Dashes, jmho.
photo 1 (1).jpg
Yeah, I'm late to this party but I think my comment carries some weight. I have installed the currently available reproduction door panels and, by the way, there is only one Chinese manufacturer of these panels regardless of the packaging or labeling by vendors. The market pricing is not cheap and that does not include the time value of your work and refinishing expenses. Your time and additional customization to make them fit your car will be substantial. If I do this on another Tbird, and the original panels are not beyond all hope, for the money, I would absolutely consider a bid from Just Dashes. Their costs would probably equal the cost of reproduction if you add in your time and extra expenses, and the work will match or be superior, AND (this is a guarantee) they will fit better. Bottom line, the reproductions don't fit. You have to make them fit. Not fun. You may call this a rant but it's just facts supported by several other members. Here's my old post...sorry, Photobucket wiped the pics a long time ago.

paulr

Re: Repro door panels
Post by paulr » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:14 am

RAVEN wrote:
Paul, pls enlighten us all, of the other various mistakes/fitments of the panels, that you came across. Inquiring minds want to know.
W

Wally, here's the door panel rant. I love all the Tbird projects I've ever done: brakes, suspension, electrical, steering, A/C, you name it. Except one. Door panels were the awful, evil exception; this is the story:
Good points:
-The one-piece molded plastic is heavy, dense and very sturdy. Looks like it will last much longer than factory cardboard.
-Vinyl overlay is well-adhered, a good quality, and close in texture to original (white or black available; I did not have to paint mine)
-Except for Rheckman's complaint, the pre-cut hole for the remote toggle was a good fit, but mis-located. (see above photo)
-Door handle hole is oversized, so handle placement was easy, and hole was covered by aluminum trim. All other holes cut by you.

Bad points:And I mean cursing and hitting stuff-type points
-Panel was 3/16" too short by width, meaning the panel side screw holes (which you must drill) will miss the door holes on one side or the other. You must choose to drill new screw holes on one side of your door. I chose the inside being the less visible side. This is horribly unacceptable for $600. (Photo taken before I filled and primed the factory holes.)
-The profile (photo below) is contoured so wrong that it stands out way too far, leaving no stem for the vent crank to grab. You have to push like hell (remember how strong I said the plastic was) to get the crank in far enough to bite. Then, once fastened, it's pressing the vinyl so tightly it needs to be lubed so it won't tear it (observe damage from opening the vent window). Epic failure. Totally unacceptable.
-Top edge contouring is not a precision match to the metal framework--close, but not close enough. You can force things, but then you will be spending hours and days fussing with the window felts, and window adjustment to get fit and clearance issues resolved. In addition, the lock knob hole is misplaced requiring precision surgery (I used a Dremel) to allow the door locks to function.

(FWIW, this comes second-hand from a man who has installed a number of these door panels on many 64-66 Tbirds over the years:) He says the problems with each door panel are different from set to set, but they are all problematic. He actually believes the factory delivers first, second, and possibly third rate products all being sold as one grade for the same price. Some are better, some are worse.

I don't know about all that, but mine came with no less than 4 stickers on each panel that said something funny like "No. 1 best lucky quality"..no bull. I got the distinct feeling that the people who "made" these panels have never seen a Tbird in their entire life, not even in pictures. Yes, I'm a little bitter about this experience, but it was a long time ago, it was a big pain in the @$$, it turned out as well as it could, and they are quite strong and durable, I'll say that. Don't look bad, either. That answer your inquiring mind, Wally?
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson

RAVEN

Re: Repro door panels

Post by RAVEN » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:38 am
Yes thanks, and I have heard of other non noted issues. Yours sounds frustrating, but in line with comments I have heard.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson