Overheating and at a loss

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

PapaBird

Overheating and at a loss

Post by PapaBird »

I have read just about every post on overheating issues for my bird and still at a loss. This started last year when out of the blue the heater core decided to die, so I decided to redo the cooling system.

What has been done? I have a new expansion tank, cap, thermostat, waterpump, fan clutch, hoses and fan. I have flushed and cleaned the system and checked the temperature of the radiator with a laser thermometer. There are things that have been changed at the same time as doing all of this. I have eliminated the heater core and the heated carb spacer (went with after market manifold). It doesn't matter if the car sits idling or at cruising speed only take about 15min to overheat and spew antifreeze. Any help would be great other then a friends suggestion to put a LS in it.
jtschug

Re: Overheating and at a loss

Post by jtschug »

Did you install the thermostat backwards? The spring should be inside the intake manifold.

Also the lower radiator hose should have something (like a coil spring from a mattress) inside it that prevents it from collapsing.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
PapaBird

Post by PapaBird »

jtschug wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:43 am Did you install the thermostat backwards? The spring should be inside the intake manifold.

Also the lower radiator hose should have something (like a coil spring from a mattress) inside it that prevents it from collapsing.
The Thermostat is installed right because I had it backwards the first time I put it in. The lower hose does not have a spring in it and didn't even see that as a option when I ordered the parts.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Overheating both when stopped and running down the road usually suggests a blocked radiator. :sad:
I recently replaced mine and found that when I had it re-cored 30+ years ago, I got something less than stock because I was trying to get the lowest price. It has always been marginal.
The new one wasn't cheap, but it sure works!
I would get the rad professionally inspected.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

The old hose was supposed to have a spring in it transferred over to the new hose.
Livermore, CA
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Start the car and get it fully warmed up.

Then open the hood and watch the lower radiator hose while someone revs the engine and see if it sucks in. If it does, then that is your problem.

I don't think the radiator is the culprit because it happens idling and going down the road and it wasn't overheating before all the parts were changed.

Boiling over after 15 minutes is a blockage somewhere in the cooling circuit. If it isn't the T-stat (you can remove it and see if the problem goes away) then it must either be a bad water pump (new parts can be bad) or a collapsed radiator hose.
Livermore, CA
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Once upon a time, when I was dealing with overheating issues, I tested my thermostat in hot water and learned that it wasn’t open fully until 20 degrees warmer than its rating. I got a lower temperature one and was careful to get a high flow model, too. Later, I installed a high flow water pump and auxiliary electric fan. Regarding the hoses, I trimmed my lower radiator hose a little to decrease the severity of the bend. I also went through a parts store’s hoses until I found one with a spring, bought it and transferred the spring to my hose. Your intake change might have resulted in a vacuum leak causing a lean, hotter burn. In my case I also found that my vacuum advance would not hold vacuum, another lean burn contributor.
Just a few ideas. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
PapaBird

Post by PapaBird »

bbogue wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:27 pm Once upon a time, when I was dealing with overheating issues, I tested my thermostat in hot water and learned that it wasn’t open fully until 20 degrees warmer than its rating. I got a lower temperature one and was careful to get a high flow model, too. Later, I installed a high flow water pump and auxiliary electric fan. Regarding the hoses, I trimmed my lower radiator hose a little to decrease the severity of the bend. I also went through a parts store’s hoses until I found one with a spring, bought it and transferred the spring to my hose. Your intake change might have resulted in a vacuum leak causing a lean, hotter burn. In my case I also found that my vacuum advance would not hold vacuum, another lean burn contributor.
Just a few ideas. Good luck.

Bill
Didn't think about a vacuum leak or vacuum advance causing an overheating issue. Thanks for the tit bit of advice.

Anyway have ordered a spring for the lower hose that should be here by the weekend to put in and I will defiantly look at the vacuum.
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

From what I understand 390s run hot. if your radiator had leaks and they were fixed from what I understand that tube the water runs through is now closed, leaving less cooling area. I just had a radiator fixed for leaks, then, of course something fell on it, back to the radiator shop, the owner said he could fix it but because of repairs and my previous repair the radiator was losing its area to cool and that it would run hot, so, bought a new copper radiator, $300.00
rzcrisis

Post by rzcrisis »

Hi PapaBird

I had something similar when I first got my 64 bird. Had changed out the thermostat, hoses and messed with the expansion tank, flushed system and still found it running way too hot. Finally took the rad to a rad guy in town and he told me that it was possible with replacing some components could have stirred up some debris in the old coolant and with the rad not at its best for free flow could have created some new blockages. Had it recored and the problems were resolved. Been running this car since 2013 with no overheating issues. So same advice as Scott. Get the rad checked, recored or replaced. Good money well spent IMHO.

Good luck
Randy
Thunderbird Registry #37580
1964 Ford Thunderbird 2DR HT ("Thelma"-our California girl)
scumdog

Post by scumdog »

And timing, check it, if too far retarded it will cause really bad overheating regardless if the car is moving or not.
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic
Lewski85

Post by Lewski85 »

Not sure if it was mentioned before or if you figured out your over heat problems but what about the heat riser? Valve located just aft of the passenger side exhaust manifold. My bird originally came with one and a while ago mine was stuck half closed. I replaced it with a valve delete piece. That solved my issues.
PapaBird

Post by PapaBird »

Lewski85 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:46 pm Not sure if it was mentioned before or if you figured out your over heat problems but what about the heat riser? Valve located just aft of the passenger side exhaust manifold. My bird originally came with one and a while ago mine was stuck half closed. I replaced it with a valve delete piece. That solved my issues.

Not sure what that is as I have no valve on the passenger side. of the car, just the lines coming from the heater core.
PapaBird

Post by PapaBird »

Update

Lower rad spring placed, changed thermostat and removed the AC heat exchange on front of radiator and still tons of pressure build up and over heating. Had car brought to a local radiator shop and was told it's in bad shape. lucky for me a local guy here had a NOS radiator that I felt was a fair price so I purchased and will be installing this weekend.