Introduction and Exhaust Question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Jim Wulf

Re: Introduction and Exhaust Question

Post by Jim Wulf »

caseyc wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:34 am Hi All,
I hope this question is ok here. I am putting my exhaust back together now and I am curious about how it is supposed to leave the manifold. The thing I do not know is I am reading about metal shields and mine did not have them. Are they needed? If so how is the layering done correctly, gasket, metal, gasket or no gaskets . Anyone want to school me on how to do it correctly. Thanks for any help!
The factory installation included the tin heat shields only. Here's a good past thread on the subject:

http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... php?t=3701
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

The stamped tin gaskets make for a very good seal when everything is clean.
I learned the hard way that using the thick, multi-layer gaskets gives you a good short time seal but will eventually cause the manifold to break becasue they restrict movement. I went through several manifolds before my mechanic buddy told me what I was doing wrong (he worked on FT's in dump trucks).
Since then I have not had a manifold failure.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
caseyc

Post by caseyc »

Jim thank you much for the link to all the great information on the heat shields and Scott thank you for your input too I have a much better idea now of what I'm going to do
CASEY C
62 tbird,41 chevy pickup project, 46 cadillac project
FlyAngry

Post by FlyAngry »

As long as were talking about exhaust...

I recently replaced my rusting mufflers with ones from a Thunderbird supplier with the tips already attached. Mufflers fit wonderfully, but the tips do a full 90 degree turn and hang down like Gonzo's nose from the Muppets. I'm guessing I need to trim them down. What is the correct length of the tips? Should the exhaust be pointed straight down or angled?
76479936-1514-4CE7-B84B-36AF362A88ED.png
There's nothing in my version of the Original Factory Specifications. I think I have a general idea from Jim Wulf's website, but would appreciate any other details or suggestions. I'd like to be as factory correct as possible.

Thanks,
JP
1962 Sport Roadster, '62 Caliber'
VTCI #12717
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

FlyAngry wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:09 pm As long as were talking about exhaust...

I recently replaced my rusting mufflers with ones from a Thunderbird supplier with the tips already attached. Mufflers fit wonderfully, but the tips do a full 90 degree turn and hang down like Gonzo's nose from the Muppets. I'm guessing I need to trim them down. What is the correct length of the tips? Should the exhaust be pointed straight down or angled?

76479936-1514-4CE7-B84B-36AF362A88ED.png

There's nothing in my version of the Original Factory Specifications. I think I have a general idea from Jim Wulf's website, but would appreciate any other details or suggestions. I'd like to be as factory correct as possible.

Thanks,
JP
Yes, they need to be trimmed off. Cut them so the end of the tip is even with the bottom of the muffler, and in the same plane.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige