Deck Lid Weatherstripping Replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Bungalocity

Re: Deck Lid Weatherstripping Replacement

Post by Bungalocity »

OK next you gotta tell us what a royal PITA getting the lid off was even w/2 people, and I assume there's some alignment and adjustment going to happen when reinstalling? Or are the bolts into 2 tidy round holes each. NICE JOB btw
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Bungalocity wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:59 pm OK next you gotta tell us what a royal PITA getting the lid off was even w/2 people, and I assume there's some alignment and adjustment going to happen when reinstalling? Or are the bolts into 2 tidy round holes each. NICE JOB btw
It was so easy, even an Old Marine (and his son) could do it? Lol!

Seriously, it was a lot easier that I thought it would be - but def a 2-man job. We did mark the lid hinge position with a sharpie, but 2 bolts on each side and went back on just as easily.
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

So no alignment issues then I guess? That is truly wild. Good to know, it may be way easier to remove the old sticky junk like this as well.
I'll try and kick up the GoPro when I can get a hand, guess it should be about a 15 min. operation for removal
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

I cannot see where the wire goes for the trunk lamp, maybe I'll try and disconnect at the lamp housing itself
tbird

Post by tbird »

The trunk light wire goes through the inner structure of the lid and comes out near the hinge, you should find a plug close by. If you check your Jim Osborne Electrical Assembly Manual it shows the routing and plug locations.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

tbird wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:21 am The trunk light wire goes through the inner structure of the lid and comes out near the hinge, you should find a plug close by.
Oops! - I didn't see a wire on mine, guess I better go back and check?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

HA - well I think if you got the lid off, you would have noticed one connected. Yes, there's a space between the metals near the lock on the lid, and the trunk light mounts there, bare bulb in a little housing. I still haven't seen where a switch would mount for open-lid tho

Still trying to get acquainted with deciphering these schematics and diagrams!
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

Steve and anyone else here, I inaugurated the first post on a new FB Group for DIY Bullet Birds with your success...hope you can join and chime in

https://www.facebook.com/groups/312515822746862/
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Hey, Boogaloo - you didn't say, if you got your weather stripping replaced (with or without removing the lid)?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
caseyc

Post by caseyc »

Hi all,
Just finished getting mine painted and before disassembly we took an 1/8 inch drill bit and put a couple of holes in each hinge, (doors, hood, and trunk) it made reasssembly and getting the gaps right really easy. By putting a nail or awl in the holes during reassembly everything lined up just like it was! I hope this helps for any newbies like me. I can use all the help I can get!
CASEY C
62 tbird,41 chevy pickup project, 46 cadillac project