Deck Lid Weatherstripping Replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Bungalocity

Re: Deck Lid Weatherstripping Replacement

Post by Bungalocity »

Yes! Acetone I use to test old resinous varnish. It will not activate Shellac, Den. Alkie will activate both. Good call
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

I also have the problem of the pathetic Rangoon redo over Champaign, it flakes off all too easily. The junk stripping I pulled off half of it has red paint stuck to it... Not to mention rust.
If Body is redone later in the year (mechanicals first!) then this is a $30 sacrifice and experiment, which is OK, and will keep further trunk pan water damage from happening
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Bungalocity wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:45 pm I also have the problem of the pathetic Rangoon redo over Champaign, it flakes off all too easily. The junk stripping I pulled off half of it has red paint stuck to it... Not to mention rust.
If Body is redone later in the year (mechanicals first!) then this is a $30 sacrifice and experiment, which is OK, and will keep further trunk pan water damage from happening
Bungalo, I chose Rangoon Red out of a color sample book at my paint&body guy's shop and love my car makeoever I just had done!
My car was factory white, but had been painted red by a PO. My paint guy did an extensive, but not total, sand and prime on it. So, so far, no flaking issues?
myredbird.jpg
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

Yeah I have no problem with RR, I love it and gets more attention than my Border Collie. I'm just pissed the original Champaign is rearing its head in places. Pathetic was the paint job aka prep-work. I see no primer when red comes off

Back on topic, will play around with Acetone and see how the tar-adhesive comes clean?
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Bungalocity wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:12 pm <snip>

Back on topic, will play around with Acetone and see how the tar-adhesive comes clean?
FYI, it will be Monday before I can catch my son in Memphis, to try to help me install mine - I'll let you know if we have any luck?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

FWIW, Autozone has the same 3m 'Yellow' and I believe 'Black' but Yellow is what was paired to my stripping's seller website
It's $10 a tube
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Bungalocity wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:49 am FWIW, Autozone has the same 3m 'Yellow' and I believe 'Black' but Yellow is what was paired to my stripping's seller website
It's $10 a tube
Thanks - does in come in a 'caulk gun' tube? (and why yellow vs black?)
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08001-Weather ... 3635507769

Different surfaces, different applications
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063X38M/re ... 2ae37525d6

I imagine there's a balance between non-caustic adhesion and impervious to petroleum based solvents (gasoline etc)
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Bungalocity wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:39 am
I imagine there's a balance between non-caustic adhesion and impervious to petroleum based solvents (gasoline etc)
OK, thanks (I was hoping it came in a caulk-gun tube?)
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

This stuff really works great.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

OK, Boogaloo and anyone else interested ...

I drove my car into the city to my son's house today, and we were able to install my deck lid weather stripping (the 'easy' way).

We may not have done it correctly? - but it seems to work? (and taking the lid off seemed a better alternative that me lying on my back in the trunk, with gravity working against me holding onto an 8 ft rubber snake?)

If you look closely at the photo, you can see that we glued the seal, largest flat side DOWN, and slotted-side OUT.
Only after we reinstalled the lid and partially closed it, did I realize, the rubber seal does NOT go into the channels along the quarter-panel sides.

Btw, the only adhesive the local parts house had that came in caulking-style tube was a generic automotive black silicone. It seemed to work fine.
decklid.jpg
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
tbird

Post by tbird »

Steve
You state that the gasket does not sit in the channel around the trunk opening, I assume that it is sealing on the raised lip on the inside edge then?
The assembly manual does not elaborate to much on details for installation.

Assume that what you got from the parts store was Urethane adhesive, Silicone does not make a great adhesive? The gasket looks great corners are nice and flat from what can be seen, how about taking a few closeup pictures of the corners and such.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

Steve, can you give an account on if the adhesive seemed to 'take' instantly? I don't mind getting on my back in awkward positions looking up - after all I now own a Thunderbird LOL...but only if I don't have to mess around with clamps and boards to hold it in place. I imagine once you close the lid and let time set in place, you're committed...blindly.
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

tbird wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 am Steve
You state that the gasket does not sit in the channel around the trunk opening, I assume that it is sealing on the raised lip on the inside edge then?
The assembly manual does not elaborate to much on details for installation.
No, not ON the raised lip (or anything else) - it actually slips INTO the trunk space, right against the inside edge. It seems to make a pretty good seal - there is some resistance when you fully push the deck lid down.
tbird wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 am Assume that what you got from the parts store was Urethane adhesive, Silicone does not make a great adhesive? The gasket looks great corners are nice and flat from what can be seen, how about taking a few closeup pictures of the corners and such.
I'll have to go out and take a look (pretty sure what I bought said silicone?)

To answer your next question, it did NOT instantly adhere and hold the gasket in place.
So it was a good thing, I had gravity working in my favor (and a couple coffee cans full of nuts & bolts, on the corners).

I will take you some close up pics, tomorrow.
Here's a side view showing the height of the seal that I used.
decklid3.jpg
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N