What is the easiest way to get the radio out?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

papasnack

What is the easiest way to get the radio out?

Post by papasnack »

What is the easiest way to pull out the radio? the only way i know right now is by taking apart the dash and wiggling it out.
Terry64HT

Re: What is the easiest way to get the radio out?

Post by Terry64HT »

Right. There are support arms on the sides at the rear that go down to the trans hump. You pretty well have to take the sides of the console off and the console dash to get at them.
Terry
64HT
paulr

Post by paulr »

If you don't have a manual or any other graphics to look at, keep careful track of all the screws you undo. There will be a lot of them. It's a stupid amount of chrome pieces, dash panels, and other accessories that all have to be loosened or moved aside to get the radio out. Getting it all back correctly is the challenge.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

The more I hear about this the more I think I'll go with a modern hide away stereo system when I get around to it, and leave the old non-functional AM radio alone. Where I live, there's only one decent AM radio station anyway, and all those power lines generating static.

On another topic, what are folks doing for speakers? I think my '64 just has a single speaker up front and a single speaker in the back. I guess I could install front speakers in the doors but what options are there for the back?
1964 TBird Hardtop
1969 Galaxie 500 Convertible
1990 Mustang 5.0 LX
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

There are some flat speakers you can put under the seats. I saw that on an earlier Bird but I don't know how power seats would impact fitment. Otherwise, you'll have to do some cutting like my 16 y/o self did back when. I regretted that later though.
If I were to take this on, I think I'd just put the best speakers I could in the factory locations.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

If you have power seats, there is no way you can fit speakers under the seats, or at least not ones of any size to be useful. I don't think there is any realistic way to put ones in the back, other than the original location. In my opinion, we drive these cars most of the time with the windows down anyway, so quality of sound is not that big a deal. In any event, the locations that speakers could be put in are not very compatible with good acoustic physics. In truth, the whole interior of these cars is an acoustic nightmare. I think the best thing to do is install dual voice coil speakers of the original sizes in the original locations, open the windows and turn up the volume.
I have a Retrosound radio in the original location along with dual voice coil speakers and the sound is just fine. I also think there are no stations worth listing to so I have a library on a USB that gives me all the music I want.
Just my thoughts
Terry
64HT
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

That sounds like good advice, Terry. I've never heard of dual voice coil speakers. Is that like having both sides of the stereo signal in one speaker, just with two voice coils? Also, thanks for the tip on Retrosound radio, I'm checking them out online. Could you let me know where you found the speakers?

Thanks!

Doug
1964 TBird Hardtop
1990 Mustang 5.0 LX
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

There are about 4 choices for speakers to fit the original locations. First is original style speaker replacements that usually go for about $20 and give about the same quality as original. Second, if you can find them are single, newer technology ones of the original size. They may give better sound, but still will tie right and left sides together. If your radio is capable of separate right and left side sound, then the next step is dual speaker assemblies that are really two little (about 3") speakers mounted on a wooden panel that fits the existing speaker hole. They sound what they look like, two little speakers on a piece of wood. The last, and best, choice is dual voice coil, which mount two tweeters on a full-sized bass cone. This will give you some separation of the mid and high tones while the bass benefits from the largest cone that will fit. It still isn't full separation, but about as good as you can get with our cars. I think dual voice coil run $50 to $60 for our cars.
As far as radios go, there are only a couple of choices to upgrade without completely changing the look of the dash. Custom Autosound makes a line that fit the dash, but don't look all that original (in my opinion). They are very common and can been seen in lots of cars at any show. I had the misfortune of buying their original Secret Audio some years ago and it was the worst radio I have ever encountered in any situation. I understand that their version 2 is better, but the control panel is still small and difficult to use. A company called Retrosound makes one that fits the dash perfectly and looks almost original except that the screen is black when not on. They supply overlays that reproduce the frequency numbers and make it look better, but it then hides the readout. They also come with several inputs including USB and Apple. This is the one I have now and am very happy with.
The last choice it to have your original radio upgraded with a new board that will give you all the latest features, excellent output and, of course, will look completely original. The big disadvantage is that you still have the original dial, so you don't know what is going on. If you just play tunes using a USB or iPod like I do, then it doesn't matter.
Sorry for the long post
Terry
64HT
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

Thanks Terry, this is great. You've done a lot of homework here, much appreciated!

Doug
1964 TBird Hardtop
1990 Mustang 5.0 LX
1974 Porsche 914 2.0