Winch

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

GeorgeG

Winch

Post by GeorgeG »

Sort of off the beaten track here, but I'd like to get a winch to pull cars, like my '61 "bird, onto my 4-post lift. I'd prefer an AC winch so I won't have to worry about charging DC batteries, etc. Plus it would be in my garage.

Now, here's the question: most powerful 120v AC winch pulls 1500 lbs. I think this should be fine to pull a rolling 4000+ lb 'Bird onto the lift, but I want to be sure before I spend the money. Looking to see if anyone has experience with all this. Is 1500 lb pull OK, or should I go DC for something more powerful?

Thanks.

George
George
VTCI #9586
Early '61 hardtop: 4-wheel discs, C6 trans, 390 HP, coil over shocks, tach, LED lights....in family since new
'75 Porsche 914 1.8 FI upgraded to 2.0 specs
Joe Johnston

Re: Winch

Post by Joe Johnston »

Considering one person can push a car on a flat surface, that should be more than enough to pull your car. IF that is too weak or travels too fast, you can always add another pulley (snatch block) in the cables.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
GeorgeG

Re: Winch

Post by GeorgeG »

Thanks Joe. Great idea about the additional pulley and snatch block. I use double pulleys on my boat lift. Why didn't I think of that for this application?

George
George
VTCI #9586
Early '61 hardtop: 4-wheel discs, C6 trans, 390 HP, coil over shocks, tach, LED lights....in family since new
'75 Porsche 914 1.8 FI upgraded to 2.0 specs