what to look for when inspecting a candidate for purchase.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

ornithology

Re: what to look for when inspecting a candidate for purchase.

Post by ornithology »

Thanks, Steverino - i have a similar outlook, where i have no experience with body and paint, and want a nice, complete interior. yup, i can swap a generator or maybe even a water pump, possibly rebuild a window motor, etc.

next Q: where do i look on the engine to verify 'matching numbers'? my next candidate is quite nice, it's a '63 but has silver/grey valve covers.
i'm wondering if it may be an earlier engine? or is it not unusual that the covers may have needed replacing with a junkyard pair?

cheers all.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I feel that when your looking to a particular car you should also due some research on what is original and what isn't. getting all your information then your ready for any questions to ask . Set a budget and stick with it, Find out were the most common area's that attract rust.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
ornithology

Post by ornithology »

i just happened upon this article. wish i had found it before pulling the trigger, just last week! fortunately, my common sense prevailed and i'm pretty sure i ended up with a winner. but this has some specifics regarding the vacuum, electrical, and rust aspects i was curious about.

http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.co ... birds.html