Bumper rechroming

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

Drbill

Bumper rechroming

Post by Drbill »

Hi fellow T-bird lovers,
Any recommendations for rechroming bumpers? Who have y’all used?
Thank you,
Bill
Alan H. Tast

Re: Bumper rechroming

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Depends on where you are located. Tell us where you are to start.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Drbill

Post by Drbill »

I live in SC. I’m willing to ship them anywhere.
Drbill

Post by Drbill »

I did notice that B-nest has them on their website rechromed. I’m concerned about quality and giving up my original bumpers as core.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Bumpers are typically large enough that shipping them cross-country to redo your own may be cost-prohibitive. Have you visited any industrial platers, body or restoration shops in your area to find out if they have connections for chrome plating in your area? In my case, over 15 years ago when I lived in Kansas City, there were a few good platers but I ended up going through a shop that sent them to Keystone Plating in Minnesota (the same company responsible for Keystone Klassic mag wheels that were popular in the '70s-'80s). They took my old bumpers and replated them, and I was happy with the way they came out. I would avoid 'Bumper Boys' in LA as the reputation they developed over the years for thin/low-quality plating is known nation-wide. The Birds Nest would be a good option - in the past they have sent their cores across the border to Mexico to get them redone, but I don't know if that's an option today.

Personally, I'd get a copy of Hemmings Motor News, Old Cars News & Marketplace or similar and look for ads for chrome platers like Paul's Chrome Plating in KY(?).
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
vince

Post by vince »

I had my originals rechromed by a company, LKQ. This is large parts dealer spread throughout the US and is owned by the same company as Keystone. This was at John Draxler's of TBird Ranch suggestion. They did a terrific job. They may have some work such as this outsourced to a specific contractor. However, I only dealt with them. If you know someone who has a repair shop and claim the work is theirs, LKQ will pick it up and redeliver. If not, you need to drop them off at a LKQ/Keystone facility and most metro areas have one. This info is over 10 years old so somethings could have changed.
Good luck.
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress
Gillerd

Post by Gillerd »

vince wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:21 pm I had my originals rechromed by a company, LKQ. This is large parts dealer spread throughout the US and is owned by the same company as Keystone. This was at John Draxler's of TBird Ranch suggestion. They did a terrific job. They may have some work such as this outsourced to a specific contractor. However, I only dealt with them. If you know someone who has a repair shop and claim the work is theirs, LKQ will pick it up and redeliver. If not, you need to drop them off at a LKQ/Keystone facility and most metro areas have one. This info is over 10 years old so somethings could have changed.
Good luck.
Alright, we will look for a local LKQ. My uncle might need the re-choming service for his Tbird. It will need a new set of tires as well so we'll check 4Wheelonline or TR.