Trying to decide what direction to take rebuilding a 55 basket case third, stock, mild hot rod, or full blown resto mod?

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

basketcase

Trying to decide what direction to take rebuilding a 55 basket case third, stock, mild hot rod, or full blown resto mod?

Post by basketcase »

I now own a basket case 55 third, disassembled 30 years ago! Do I go stock, mild hot rod, or full blown resto mod. I currently have a 2002 Lincoln Town car with 94,000 miles that could be a drive train donor. I want a driving car to enjoy, not looking to show.
Joe Johnston

Re: Trying to decide what direction to take rebuilding a 55 basket case third, stock, mild hot rod, or full blown resto

Post by Joe Johnston »

A couple of thoughts:
1) look at several online sites including auction results, and save pictures of cars you like. This will give you some ideas and hopefully a goal
2) Keep notes on what you like. Lots of shiny chrome, pure stock, 26" tires with spinning centers, low riders whatever you like
3) Custom paint or stock??
4) Old style straight axle drag car look with huge slicks?
5) What is your engine choice?
6) What is your time frame, budget, what can you do yourself? Have a minimum of 25K to start, then the sky is the limit!

Best of luck and remember its your car, build what you want.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
basketcase

Re: Trying to decide what direction to take rebuilding a 55 basket case third, stock, mild hot rod, or full blown resto

Post by basketcase »

That's what I have been doing, thought it would be nice to get some input from other t bird people before starting the project. I sent a more detailed message just before getting your reply ( analog guy trying to get with the digital world). I will be following the post's on this site and see what I can learn. Looking forward to the fun of the build! Glad to hear the thoughts of others.
tbird

Post by tbird »

Go to the 55-57 Modified section of this forum there are lots of Mod ideas there and people that lean that way.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars