Fuel tank

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Bcool

Fuel tank

Post by Bcool »

Hello all. I had Moyer the fuel tank guy re do my tank in my 71. Completely satisfied and got it reinstalled and wondering if anyone that has done this knows if I should put sealer on the new filler tube to tank seal? I just greased it so it would slide in. Thoughts?
Thanks
Barron Cooley
Joerg

Re: Fuel tank

Post by Joerg »

Hello,

I changed my tank on my 1968 a month ago.
I have not taken any sealant. Until now everything is tight.

BR

Jörg
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

I assume you are asking about the big "grommet" type seal that fits into the hole in the tank and the inlet pipe goes trough it.

I know this sounds crazy but I use Vaseline for these type seals. It makes things slide together easily, cleans up quickly, and most important, does not attack the material in the seal. Dish washing soap is an alternative but a little messier because it is liquid. I have also used rubber assembly lube like Ru-Glyde. I like Vaseline the best. It does not dry out like the Ru-Glyde while you are working with it.

I know some people use silicone sprays, some type of grease, dry film lubes, or WD-40. I worry about whatever is in those reacting with the seal. Plus they are messier and tend to leave an odor.

Just my experience. I did learn that I need to have my own tube of Vaseline in the shop. Using what was inside the house can create some discussions about where to find it, not putting it back, etc.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
Bcool

Post by Bcool »

Thanks for the knowledge Rusty. I used grease and new quad rings on the two lock ring holes. So I think counting the vent hose that’s four holes in the tank, plus the dozen that Moyer repaired. So I put twenty four gallons of premium in it and was shocked to see no leaks. Sometimes I surprise myself on my perceived lack of ability.
And Rusty, gotta be careful with that Vaseline! 😂😂