Led taillight bulbs

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Mitchdublin

Led taillight bulbs

Post by Mitchdublin »

Hi, has anyone used led bulbs in taillights to make them a bit brighter .
fordrodsteven

Re: Led taillight bulbs

Post by fordrodsteven »

I'm pretty certain you can put in LED's and it will be brighter. I think you might run into a problem with the directional circuits. I think just replacing the standard bulb with an LED might not draw enough amperage to make the flasher circuit work properly. You might be able to put a resistor in-line to make it have enough draw then the directional flasher will function as designed. Another options is to put in more LED bulbs to make enough of a draw on the system. Yet again, another option could be to try to find a different flasher that will work effectively with the LED bulbs.
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

If the flasher doesn't work after installing LED's, buy an electronic flasher.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
cougarsunlimited.net

Post by cougarsunlimited.net »

The best bulbs currently are the "Plasma" LED bulbs. They are about twice as bright as 1157 bulbs but draw only 1/7th the current (about 300ma).
Note: Not all LED bulbs on the market are compatible with sequential tail lights. I have tested the ones marked WCCC1157R for compatibility.
Internally, the bulbs must have dual-diode isolation between the brake/turn contact and the running light contact to avoid problems.

On 1967-early 1969 Thunderbirds, the indicator relay (mounted on the passenger inside firewall) must be replaced with an electronic indicator relay.
On late 1969-1971 Thunderbirds, both the turn signal and emergency flasher must be replaced with an LED compatible flasher.
Vic Yarberry
Cougars Unlimited LLC
www.cougarsunlimited.net