Valve clearances

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Davec

Valve clearances

Post by Davec »

Hi,
Does anyone know what the inlet and exhaust valve clearances are for 429 4v ?
Need to remove the rockers and check mine as I have a knocking around 2k rpm when warm.
RedBird64

Re: Valve clearances

Post by RedBird64 »

Normaly hyd lifters don't have any valve clearance.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Davec

Post by Davec »

i thought these were solid lifters ?
voltron

Post by voltron »

I had a'69 Bird and a '71 Merc Colony Park both with 429's and both had hydraulic lifters.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Anything but the most radical SCJ 429's are gong to be hyd.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

As the previous entries state, virtually all 429s have hydraulic lifters, but they do need to be adjusted. The shop manual describes two procedures. The one I prefer is to rotate the crankshaft so #1 piston is at top dead center on the compression stroke, loosen (or tighten) the rocker arm adjustment nut until all the play is removed and the push rod just rotates, and then tighten the nut one full revolution which ensures that lifter is properly compressed when the corresponding valve is closed. (One revolution of the adjustment nut compresses the lifter by 0.006”.) Repeat for the other valve in that cylinder. Continue to the next cylinder in the firing order and repeat the process until all have been adjusted.