1967 Q-Code Landau Thunderbird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Luke98Roberts

1967 Q-Code Landau Thunderbird

Post by Luke98Roberts »

Recently picked up the (Estate sale) car on the cheap, for good reason. I'm using the car as a learning tool/restoration/daily-driver-build project. I know almost nothing about fixing them, but I'm definitely into some problems - the primary ones being this:

1) I don't have keys for any of the locks or the ignition. I'd like to get them all re-keyed to use 1 singular key, but have no idea how I'd go about that.

2) I have a nice C6 Transmission to mate to my 428, but no driveshaft and I have absolutely no idea where to get one/what is compatible. I just don't know the length and the transmission isn't in the car so I can't measure it.

3) The car has been sitting since 1985 (except for being moved back to my house). Until three months before I got it, it was inside of a climate-controlled, concrete-floored building. I still want to make sure it's fine though, so I plan on dropping the tank and cleaning it out or something. I don't know if any gas was left in the car before it was parked.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

And, here's some photos for the heck of it:

stove

Re: 1967 Q-Code Landau Thunderbird

Post by stove »

1> I would take the passenger door panel off, and remove the lock cylinder, take it to a locksmith and have them impression a new key.
This would get you the two doors and ignition key, assuming of course nothing has been changed out ever.
The same goes for the glove box lock, that would get you in the trunk.

2> I have a driveshaft I had made. I would sell for $250 plus shipping. It has less than 500 miles on it.

3> Harbor Freight has a decent snake camera, you could poke around in the gas tank with.
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
Luke98Roberts

Post by Luke98Roberts »

All the info is very much appreciated. I'd like to know the length of the driveshaft as I might travel down the aluminum route, though I will keep yours in mind.
As far as removal of door panels, I was supposed to get a manual with the car to help with all of this but they never got it to me so I'll have to figure out how to get it off there.
The key help is huge, so thank you very much.
stove

Post by stove »

You will certainly NEED the factory shop manual if you intend on turning screw-one on this car.
Parts are extremely difficult to find for these cars and big big money when you do find. Don't risk
damaging what you have, buy the manual and WAIT for it to arrive... Best of luck with your project!
Ask LOTS of questions, there are no bad ones.

Ebay is loaded with examples of the manual.

I will attempt to remember to measure that driveshaft at some point.
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
Luke98Roberts

Post by Luke98Roberts »

All your help is hugely appreciated!
Luke98Roberts

Post by Luke98Roberts »

Running into another problem. I'd like to replace the Ignition switch and cylinder, so I purchased both of them (from a few different places, now). No matter what I do, I simply can't get the cylinder to lock into place in the switch/housing. I've tried so many videos, turning the key every which way on the new one, doing all that they say, and it simply won't go into place. Any help? Or does anybody have a switch and cylinder they're willing to part with that already has keys and is assembled? This thing is proving to be a lot of trouble, but I'm not willing to get rid of it yet.