Weather stripping sources

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
AZ Paralyzedvet

Weather stripping sources

Post by AZ Paralyzedvet »

I recently purchased a 1967 Thunderbird 4 door. It's in pretty good shape with no rust or prior accident damage. It didn't have the original engine so I am currently in the process of having a custom built 428 FE engine installed (with a Holley Sniper EFI system). My next step is to have the car completely repainted since the current paint is pretty faded. As part of the repainting job I want to replace all of the weather stripping and window felts. My question is "where is the best place(s) to get affordable, quality weather stripping?" Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Outside view
Outside view
Data plate
Data plate
Interior
Interior
Old engine
Old engine
New engine in the process of installation
New engine in the process of installation
Dansbirds

Re: Weather stripping sources

Post by Dansbirds »

Congratulations on the new purchase and it sounds like a nice car. As far as best and affordable weatherstripping that’s gonna be tough as these cars don’t get the love as others from the era so parts suppliers are limited. I have purchased some weatherstrip from Mac’s auto parts and have had some luck with mustang suppliers and a few from eBay.
Have had over 40 t birds here from 57-2004
Currently have a 65,70,and 80 Silver Anniversary
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Welcome to the FORUM. Nice looking car and best of luck with the build. Your MY car will be a challenge to pick up some items, as not a lot of repop has been carried out do to lack of demand. From your Web ID you appear to live in an area of rust free body sources, which will be an advantage, and one less challenge. Good luck.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Davec

Post by Davec »

Unless anyone else knows, the only real 4 door place is tbirdhq. They are costy. :sad:
AZ Paralyzedvet

Post by AZ Paralyzedvet »

Yes, I did see the ones on tbirdhq. $700 for just the front and rear door seals is insane. Of course, if there is no alternative source I guess I will have to put on a straight jacket and join the insanity! I got the 4 door model because I am a paraplegic and have to use a wheelchair. The rear suicide doors are great for pulling the wheelchair into the back seat.
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

Check out, Steele Rubber.
Davec

Post by Davec »

pretty sure they don't either but they are better quality.
Davec

Post by Davec »

If it makes anyone feel better, Porsche 944 cab seals are now around the same price!
Doogies66tbird

Post by Doogies66tbird »

I'm in the same boat, I recently purchased a 68 Landau 4 door and got rained on when going through the car wash. A guy on the FB Glamour bird group said he used the roof rail weatherstripping from a 68 mustang and has had no problems. I assume a little cutting would be in order, but the cost is between $50-$80 per pair. for that type of savings ,I can get pretty creative.
Doogie
STBeverly

Post by STBeverly »

Hey! I just got my 1967 Fordor triple black and also looking for weatherstripping. If this is at all possible I will have to try it.

Doogies66tbird wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:03 pm I'm in the same boat, I recently purchased a 68 Landau 4 door and got rained on when going through the car wash. A guy on the FB Glamour bird group said he used the roof rail weatherstripping from a 68 mustang and has had no problems. I assume a little cutting would be in order, but the cost is between $50-$80 per pair. for that type of savings ,I can get pretty creative.
Doogie
1967 Ford Thunderbird Fordor Q code 63510 orig miles - engine rebuilt with 2410 miles
Matogti

Post by Matogti »

Hi Im owner of 68 and I will go to restore. Really is posible to buy it somewhere? Steele rubber has many types but no 67-69 tbirds!